Soffit alignment looks inaccurate

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Can some knowledge person advise if the builder has messed up the soffit board alignment on my new house? This is the back room of the house. Builder house finishing foreman said it was normal but I don’t tend to agree. The issue is the angle of the 2 soffit boards. You can see soffit board on the right is are not fitted horizontal (0 degrees) thus is not forming a nice joint with the soffit board to the left of photo.

Thanks in advance.

14shz15.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would expect the 2 boards to be fitted like in this example photo, and forming a nice close joint.

2v93sci.jpg

The house is a timber house with cement block outer wall if that matters at all.

He is talking nonsense as you know already.
The soffit strips have fell in too short and they have tried to make up the difference with a jointing strip.
Birds and insects can get in there.
Mitred joint is much tidier.

Sponsored Links
Is that different types of soffit they have used?

Thanks for your feedback.

The first photo with the bad soffit join is my actual house “to be.” It’s a new build in a development and I snagged it a few weeks ago. The other photo with the white soffit boards is not my house. It’s just an example I used to show what I expect the soffit on my house to look like.

I go back to the site to recheck my house on Thursday and I’m not sure as of yet if or how the builder had fixed the joint. They were talking about sealing the joint somehow. I don’t want to accept a botch job and want them to fix it properly.. like say refit the soffit correctly.

I'm talking about the black soffits in the first pics they look like different profiles going by the pics.

I'm talking about the black soffits in the first pics they look like different profiles going by the pics.

Here is another photo. What do you mean by different profiles? The soffit on the rugby side in the photo is coming in at an angle to the wall. The other one at least looks like it’s level / no angle.
Appreciate your inputs.

28a17df.jpg

I'm viewing the images on my phone, 2nd pic is clearer and the same profile.
Either way it needs aligned and jointed properly.

I'm viewing the images on my phone, 2nd pic is clearer and the same profile.
Either way it needs aligned and jointed properly.

Cheers Ker-plunk. I’ve just looked at a youtube vid showing fitting of soffit and fasia boards and i understand the fitting process better now. This definitely looks like poor workmanship.

I meet with the builders snag fixing person on Thursday to review the work his team have done based on my snag list. Will be interesting to see what they have done with this.
What would be your suggestion? Take down the soffit board and refit it correctly. I assume it shouldn’t be a difficult job.

I assume it shouldn’t be a difficult job.
Potentially, it could be a big awkward b'stard of a job. It may involve removing roof tiles, felt, battens, gutter and attempting to patch monocouche render.

So easy to get right in the first place and trés lazy on the part of the soffit detail construction.

They'll likely fob you off with a squirt of black silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back