Can a structural column be used as an edge of a shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently planning to remove a wall and create an ensuite. The removal of the wall may result in a 'structural column' being placed bang in the middle of the new bathroom .. I have added a picture to show where.

I was pondering if the column could be used as a 'corner' of an shower cubical .. e.g. placing glass panels between the wall and the column - a friend suggested making the room into a wetroom - but I'd rather not..

any other ideas of how the space could work?

TIA

1zfu9lc.png

Sponsored Links
Are you planning on installing the shower column on the middle column?

No, I was just planning to use the column as a corner - like this but with a 'column' in the corner.. the only things I can find between two 'walls' are doors not panels

Sponsored Links
i guess you could use those glass blocks to form one side of the shower cubical. I've seen them looking quite smart before. Then box in the column.

Is there no way you could avoid the column in that location. Could you put in beam then two columns to transfer the load down to something solid below?

the column is to transfer to something solid - I think if you move the column left - it will make the loft room about a meter smaller - if you move it right - it will make the roof supports run parallel to the roof - so not allow support.. if you see what I mean..

I was thinking about somehow 'fixing' a panel like this

Beware the glass blocks ! I collected a few 1950's ones and made a small window into a feature with them - what a job - real awkward to do and you obviously have large joints like brickwork so I wouldn't recommend them for a shower. Maybe have a bespoke glass panel made to fit.

I would go all out to avoid the column if at all possible or if that cannot be done for some reason just make the column part of a side wall to the shower enclosure.

eg

bespoke-glass-options.jpg

Or have the column and fit another glass panel between it and the wall.

Though IMO future buyers with kids may be put off if they see a column and no practical way to fit a bath. I guess they will not discover there is a column until after they've moved in though which seems a bit unethical to me ......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back