Can a tile roof be installed over a slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know if a tile roof can be installed over a slate roof and how is it done - (a contractor informed me that I have two layers of tile covering a slate roof) Any information will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The only problem is you don't know where the roof rafter joist is for the batten to nail onto and another thing to consider is the extra weight of the tiles.Not sure if I'm reading your question right,am I right saying you want to tiles over the existing roof and not a difference pitch roof on top? If you're interested I can give you more info on lightweight roof tiles etc...

Thank you for your reply - what I'm asking, is it possible to have two layers of tile on top of a slate roof.

A contractor has informed me that they will have to charge more money because I have two layers of tile on top of slate tile. But he wasn't sure how that was done unless the tile was glued to the slate. Is that possible?
all I see is tile on top of my roof

Without seeing it I find it very hard to believe you have two layers of tiles.If was glued together then it dangerous as it would not be protected from high wind as they are normally nailed down.A good roofing contractor will inspect the tiles properly.I'm afraid they probably think they can get away with charging more money as most people can't see what up on the roof.I would get another 2 quotes first.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I was getting the impression they are trying to get more money also. I will take your advice and get two more quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back