Can any one identify this please?

arv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title does any one know the model etc of this, i think it's Wylex.

Attachments

• 20161124_170516.jpg
    20161124_170516.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 377
Sponsored Links
Yes it is a double pole switch with (I guess) a fuse under the white plate.

Probably called a switchfuse these days. Almost certainly Wylex. But they dont make then like that any more.
This is todays version
CGMSF100.JPG

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CGMSF100.html

It looks like its fitted upside down..And I spy possible heat damage on the cable at top right. The colour of the inner sleeve should be brown, but the sleeve is discoloured so it now looks black. Sign of a bad connection just there.

CAREFUL. That is live. It is also ALL live when the switch is turned off!!!

Last edited:
Yes i noticed it was installed upside down :(

Whats the best way to fit a new one without getting a shock?

Sponsored Links
... lmost certainly Wylex. But they dont make then like that any more.
This is todays version
CGMSF100.JPG
I'm not sure about "they dont make then like that any more". Maybe it is not absolutely identical, but the inside of one of those 'todays version' KMF switchfuses you have illustrated is remarkably similar to the OP's photo ....
upload_2016-12-6_13-14-46.png

... and, for what it's worth, I'm far from convinced that the OP's is Wylex (although I'm not sure who makes these 'KMF' jobs).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies guys, i'll dig me fluke out and isolate the wires.

You can see more of the damage on this one here..

Attachments

• 20161124_170501.jpg
    20161124_170501.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 288
You could argue, that amd3 covers switchfuses as well, the "consumer units and associated switchgear" in my eyes (my boss concurs) covers switchfuses.

We only fit metal ones now, it's a right PITA, the plastic KMFs take up SO MUCH less room

How? They're the tails from that 100A fuse aren't they?
Could be..how do you know which side is the feed in?
The bell-end who fitted it did it like that because that's where the tails are. If the feed in is from the other side to normal, then the fuse holder will be live even with the switch in the off position.
Very careful work with the Fluke, with a special revision of safe isolation procedures beforehand!

You could argue, that amd3 covers switchfuses as well, the "consumer units and associated switchgear" in my eyes (my boss concurs) covers switchfuses. We only fit metal ones now, it's a right PITA, the plastic KMFs take up SO MUCH less room
I think many people probably would agree with you and your boss - but where does one stop, and how sensible is it? ....

... is there, for example, really much material difference between a 60A or 80A switch-fuse and an 50A shower or cooker isolator/switch (or do you perhaps think that they get caught by Amd3 as well?!)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back