Wylex Fuse Covers

However, I don't personally really think that the absence of the cover is a major issue.

Without it, however the manufacturers type test approval is void... theres a test described in BSEN60439 (and its forerunner, BS5486) Where the consumer unit is covered by cheesecloth, subjected to a short, and there must be no signs of burning evident on the cheesecloth afterwards. Its not likely to pass with the cover missing. I've seen labels stuck above the fuses bear witness to the fact that hot particles do just ejected out when the fuse operates without the cover in place.

The company I worked for considered the consumer unit to breach IP ratings without the cover fitted.

Look what exposed conductive parts are visible with the cover off.

Sponsored Links
I think the fact that coats are hung nearby is an issue. I really hadn't seen it from that viewpoint.
Personal opinions obviously vary, and I've offered mine, but I cannot criticise a desire for ultra-caution.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
IP4X on top edge of enclosures. That's 1mm. So those holes allowing access to the circuit terminals behind the fuse shields need covering.

The fuse cover is ideal for this.

John,
Your opinion is valued if we lived too cautiously we'd never go out of the house - maybe never get out of bed in fact. :)
I know there are other things I can worry about so I'll not get too stressed on this one.
Very best wishes,
John

John, Your opinion is valued if we lived too cautiously we'd never go out of the house - maybe never get out of bed in fact. :) I know there are other things I can worry about so I'll not get too stressed on this one.
Indeed - and even 'getting out of bed' is not necessarily 'safe'. IIRC there are more deaths in the UK due to getting (or falling) out of bed than result from electricity!

Kind Regards, John

Looks like I sparked a bit of interest! Sorry I couldn't resist (actually that's an even worse pun!).

Look what exposed conductive parts are visible with the cover off.
Which exposed-c-ps can you see? (and, if you can only see them, but not touch them, I'm not sure they can count as exposed-c-ps, anyway, do they?).

Kind Regards, John

I will try and find a picture. You can see them with the fuse cover off, but more importantly, without that cover, they are not IP protected to 4X, so are a potential shock risk.

EDIT: PICCY HERE:

This is a good example. Being the MC version, there is a bigger gap round the fuses and the neutral bar is accessible with the 1mm wire used in the IP test.

There is a fuse shield missing, an obvious hazard. But there is also access to live parts with the fuse shields in place (and the fuse cover missing) and also access to the BS88 30A fuse cap.

Acknowledgements to www.electrical-contractor.net forum for the picture.

C'mon...who says you gotta stay sedentary in bed?

Bit of jiggy raise the heart rate good, son!

Being the MC version, there is a bigger gap round the fuses
The OPs are not MC.

There is a fuse shield missing, an obvious hazard.
The OP's do not appear to have any shields missing.

But there is also access to live parts with the fuse shields in place (and the fuse cover missing) and also access to the BS88 30A fuse cap.
The OP doesn't have any BS88 carriers in his.

This is a good example.
Apparently not.

the neutral bar is accessible with the 1mm wire used in the IP test.
I used to have a TV where live (at HV) parts could be accessed by poking a 1mm wire through many of the ventilation holes. I expect you did too - certainly your parents would have done.

By avoiding doing that poking I avoided contact with those parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back