Can Anyone Advise On Damp Proofing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We recently bought an old cottage with thick stone walls.

We were told at the time of purchase that it needed a damp proof
course. What does this involve exactly, and how expensive is it ?

Will the walls need to be drilled, and is it a big job ?

Is it just the outside walls which are treated ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yorkie

Sponsored Links
Yorkie said:
We were told at the time of purchase that it needed a damp proof
course. What does this involve exactly, and how expensive is it ?
Normally grind out the mortar joint in 1 metre section then slide in the dpc and so on. Are you getting rising damp, if not, don't worry about it. See this for more info.

Why do you need a DPC?

If it's because you have a damp problem, and if (a big if!) DPC is the best solution to that particular problem, then fine. A DPC is a means to an end, not and end in itself.

Too often nowadays people are advised to have DPC work because surveyors are frightened of being sued, and/or because they think that DPC is the answer to all damp problems. It isn't.

I was quoted £3k to have DPC installed to my stone cottage (2 foot thick walls), as recommended by surveyor before purchase. When I investigated, I found that the garden level was 10 inches above the level of internal floors. Lowering the garden and installing French Drain next to the walls after drying out solved the problem.

What are the symptoms of damp that you're getting? This is the start point, and lots of simple things need to be checked before you even consider DPC.

Remember, DPC contractors are in the business of installing DPC's. If the problem later turns out to have been something different and you still have damp, all the guarantees in the world won't be worth the paper they're written on.

If you need pointers as to what to check, come back for further info.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

To be honest, I'm not sure if we DO need a damp proofing course.
Personally, I've never seen any damp, in fact everything looks to
be bone dry, even in the cellar.

The cottage actually belongs to my daughter. When she purchased
the property, she was told by the surveyors to have it done.

What's the best thing to do here ? Are we liable for anything if we
don't get it done ? If the surveyor has told us that it wants doing,
isn't this part of the purchase agreement or insurance or something ?

Should we get some quotes, or just leave it ?

Your help would be appreciated.

Yorkie

Sponsored Links
You are only "liable" to have work done on your property if it has been required by mortgage lender as a condition of the loan. You would have been made aware of this when you purchased; in fact the mortgage funds would only have been released if you had already complied with such a condition, or you might have had some funds withheld until required work had been completed. This is sometimes the case with e.g. structural work or major renovations that have a major effect on the value of the property. Highly unlikely that this would be the case with DPC.

It sounds to me like the surveyor has said this in case you discovered damp later and tried to sue him. Although it might be that he has used a damp meter and discovered some presence of moisture.

For your own peace of mind, I suggest that you discuss with the surveyor his reasons for saying that DPC is needed. If he says that his damp meter detected moisture readings, ask him for the readings and the locations of them.

Damp, especially in old buildings, is the subject of much myth and mis-information. If the building is dry enough for your purposes, why spend money on something that might not be needed? It is probably much better to spend money on making sure e.g. that gutters/downpipes aren't leaking, pointing/rendering is in good order, drains and soakaways are clear, etc.

Come back if you want any more pointers, but of course you must seek professional guidance if in doubt. Without seeing the property I cannot accept any liability.

Good luck.

Thanks barryo,

We'll check with the surveyor as you suggest.

My daughter tells me that during the survey, they found a damp
patch in the living room. This must be their reason for suggesting
a DPC ? The survey was carried out when she applied for a
mortgage.

The damp patch isn't noticable, and it's not a problem to us, so
purhaps a DPC is a bit over the top.

Thanks for help - it's much appreciated.

Yorkie

Yorkie said:
My daughter tells me that during the survey, they found a damp patch in the living room. This must be their reason for suggesting
a DPC ?
Agreed with barryo, the damp meter reading can only give a possibility of dampness. To do it properly you would be to take a core samples from the wall with a special tool.
That why the damp treatment company loves showing you what the damp meter reading is :!: There's so much money wasted on damp treatment which is unnecessary.

Yorkie,
1. where is the surveyors report? what exactly does it say about the damp patch.
2. search my posting name and look up damp walls etc.
3. is there a bldg. soc. retention on the damp issue?
4. stone walls are usually solid walls and the common practice is to use "injection mortar" it's not usually a drill and treat method. It's not much use either.
5. at the damp patch: what are the conditions outside the wall , below the patch and above the patch.
6. often rising damp turns out to be condensation or penetrating damp.
7. unoccupied properties will almost guarantee condensation and a "reading" on the surveyors meter.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'll have to put you boys on my xmas card list. ;)

We'll have to check out a few things before asking you any
more questions.

Yorkie.

I moved into a house once that was built in 1880 and, based on a dirty great big stain round the base of the chimney breast, the surveyor declared a damp problem, which the damp-proof people then confirmed, so I had to pay out about £1500 on a chemically-injected DPC.

After about 6 months the dirty great big stain returned and, when I phoned up the DPC people they said that it probably wasn't damp after all, but some sort of tar leaching through the fireplace after a century of use, and to cover it up with some anti-stain sealing paint.

Which I did. For a tenner. And it never came back again......

So why didn't you sue the DPC company Jt?

Too many of these injection companies get away with this, aided and abetted by ignorant surveyors.

Rising damp only exists in the minds of Damp Proof Course Installers. At some point it will all be exposed as the biggest building scam of the twentieth century.

Occupation and Ventilation prevent damp, with a little help from the absence of leaking downpipes/ sopping wet soil on the outside of the wall.

Your cottage has been there since 1880 with no 'damp proof course' and it's 'bone dry'. Don't let anyone hack it about in the name of this myth.

barryo said:
So why didn't you sue the DPC company Jt?

I was young and buying my first house - Its all to easy to be scared into action by 'the professionals' (and I don't mean Bodie & Doyle)

Can you give me some further advice regarding the damp
patch at my daughters cottage ?

I called last night to have a look for myself. The damp patch is
actually on an internal wall. It's about 12 inches in diameter and
about 6 inches above the skirting board. It is easily visible, and
feels cold to the touch, yet the wallpaper is still in perfect order
so we've left it alone for the time being.

What I wanted to know, is...

If it's an internal wall, would a DPC make any difference ? Can
you damp proof an internal wall the same way as an external
wall ? I always thought that damp proofing was done outside.

Sorry if my question sounds stupid - It's just that we need some
basic knowledge just in cas we have to get someone in for a
quote.

Thanks in advance.

Yorkie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back