Can anyone have a quick look at my plans before submission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to submit a PP application for a fairly standard kind of extension. Similar things done on my road or nearby already.

I would be very grateful if someone could take 3 mins to look over the plans (elevations, floor plans, site plan, location plan) and warn me if I've missed something really obvious or made a terrible mistake? I've been staring at these things for so long that I could easily be blinkered by now!

I don't need advice about the nature of the plans themselves, or "how I should design it" etc. - just a nod to say that these look like acceptable plans to submit.

Much appreciated. Please PM me or reply here and I'll send the pics, better than posting them on here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I don’t understand why you don’t just post the links here, instead of in a PM but anyway

All design issues aside,
They’re a bit scant but I’ve seen less/worse submitted and approved.
No scale bar on any of the drawings
No north point on floor plans
There’s no roof plans
No room names
We assume you’re not reducing any off street parking – looks that way – but make sure it’s clear within your app.
I wouldn’t add dimensions unless I was asked to provide them
It could be wise to check your local authority won’t be expecting an ecology report (bat survey) as you’re affecting an existing roof, some authority’s are insisting nowadays, though plenty don’t (yet).
Presumably you’ve read your local authority’s householder application checklist?
There could be others

All design issues aside,
They’re a bit scant but I’ve seen less/worse submitted and approved.
No scale bar on any of the drawings
No north point on floor plans
There’s no roof plans
No room names
We assume you’re not reducing any off street parking – looks that way – but make sure it’s clear within your app.
I wouldn’t add dimensions unless I was asked to provide them
It could be wise to check your local authority won’t be expecting an ecology report (bat survey) as you’re affecting an existing roof, some authority’s are insisting nowadays, though plenty don’t (yet).
Presumably you’ve read your local authority’s householder application checklist?
There could be others

Thanks - ok I can add a scale bar. I saw some dimensions like mine on other plans so I just copied that idea.

North point on floor plans? I didn't realise that was needed, just for site/block ones - but yes I can add that.
Room names, sure.
I do have roof plans but I took them out when I saw that no one else tends to include them. I'll stick them back in.

Correct, no parking affected - I think that's mentioned in the forms I've filled in.

Ecological assessment:
"
Ecological assessment (including protected species surveys) required for any householder application which:
o involves the conversion, removal or replacement of a roof;
o involves the removal of trees or significant vegetation;
o includes extensions to the property and abuts or is adjacent to a watercourse;
o includes extensions to the property and abuts or is adjacent to a designated wildlife site."

so, damn, that means I need one? How am I supposed to get that, hmm. The architechts who quotes me for the project made no mention of it, tut tut

Last edited:
I would submit the app and and see if they ask for one. If your house is in the centre of a city it is less likely they will ask than if you're in a village in the countryside for example, age and type of construction play a part too, amongst other things .....

I would submit the app and and see if they ask for one. If your house is in the centre of a city it is less likely they will ask than if you're in a village in the countryside for example, age and type of construction play a part too, amongst other things .....

Cool, so if my application is missing something that they want then they will ask me rather than just waiting for the 8 weeks to expire and rejecting it because I didn't include something?

Correct, they won't validate it. They may keep it all on hold or may ask you to re-submit everything when you have everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back