Can anyone help me fix this tap leak (picture included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Since moving into my house a year ago the kitchen tap leaks when it's running.

I've taken a picture to illustrate the tap and the location of the leak. I'm presuming it's a washer that's worn but I'm not sure how I'd go about taking the tap apart. I wondered if anyone had any info on this.

I'm not a confident plumber but, due to severe financial stress at the moment, I would rather have a go at this then get someone in as I'm sure it's quite a simple job with a point in the right direction.

Many thanks for any help you can give me :D

Sponsored Links
At the base of the swivelling spout there will be one or more likely, two rubber 'o' rings that should seal where your leak is.
The big issue is removing the spout - maybe there is a small allen screw at the back?
John :)

Hi John

Thanks for the info. I presume I could just buy replacement O rings from B and Q or whereever?

Yep, getting at it is where I'm struggling.

Cheers

John

Its best to contact the tap manufacturer for the correct rings, if you can - I have boxes of 'universal 'o' rings...every size you could possibly need' but in reality they rarely come close.
Anyway, some spouts are located with an allen screw at the back, some with a nut at the base of the spout, and I found one type not long ago that pushed into place - when the spout was turned exactly 90 deg to the left.
Its difficult to tell with yours, but it must come off somehow!

Sponsored Links
Hi John

You were absolutely correct mate! There was a screw at the back of the tap.

I've managed to get the tap off and now have this.....

The O rings look really tight. Is it possible to get replacement ones and do they just 'roll' up the tap or something?

Many thanks for all your help so far.

Cheers

John :D

Its easy enough to get the o rings off - just slip a small electrical screwdriver under them, and they'll peel off down the shaft.
The fun starts getting new ones of course so I might be inclined to head for a plumbers merchants or similar in the morning.
Bear in mind if you take the rings off, the tap will leak wholesale!
A typical o ring selection is Toolstation 89788 or 53005.
Be lucky!

Well.. my 'o' ring set arrived today. I thought I would be posting to say that the tap is sorted but, unfortunately, it isn't.

I picked out the rings that I thought were the same size but either the tap wouldn't fit back in its housing or, if I chose slightly smaller ones, the tap still leaks!!

Are 'o' rings always this tight with their tolerance?

The 3mm thick ones are too tight and don't fit back into the tap housing.

The 2mm ones pass water.

I've tried 'persuading' the 3mm ones but the 'o' ring ends up getting deformed.

???

i wonder if the blackspur o rings are as poor quality as their tools that you see all over ebay.the sets that burnerman suggested are more suitable.did you try the 3mm ones with some lubrication, ie oil or silicon grease

Alas, a bit of the eternal problem with the good old 'o' ring.....
Give them a squirt with some silicone spray or grease, and try working them into place.
Believe it or not, the rings come in both imperial and metric thicknesses too :eek:

I did try with a bit of vaseline (haven't got any silicone spray) but to no avail.

Will see if I can find a better size on the t'internet....

They may well be poor quality Terence. You get what you pay for I suppose.

;)

I've got sets by Draper, Laser and who knows who else......hundreds in total! More often than not when I want a crucial size, there's no chance :rolleyes:
Wash up liquid may help as a lube.

I had a new Franke tap fitted (similar to yours) and within weeks it was leaking in the same sort of place. I got on to Franke and they posted out a replacement free (though the cost to buy was only about a quid if I'd had to pay for it).

A trick I've used in the past when I couldn't get correct o rings is this;

Take the original o rings off. Wind a few turns of PTFE tightly around the shaft so it is pulled into the grooves. Put the original o rings back on.

The PTFE just lifts them a tiny bit and may do the trick. Its worked for me several times when the original rings weren't too knackered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back