Help fixing leaking tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've attached a picture of a bathroom tap. I've taken the handle off, and it's easy to see that when it's turned on (it's a twist & lift style tap), water leaks into the top & eventually drips over the sides. The problem is how I stop this! I can't see how to get to anything, or anything ti tighten. Looking down the top, there might be a nut style rung around the blue ring you can see on the top, but I can't get to it. It looks like there's a join between the bevelled top & the rest of the tap, but it doesn't obviously unscrew.

Anyone with experience of these types of taps know how I get it apart, and what I might need to tighten to stop it leaking when it's turned on?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20171003_080602.jpg
    IMG_20171003_080602.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
the bevelled top unscrews ,anti clockwise. exposing a large hex nut which keeps the valve in place. you can get replacement valves ,but there's quite a few variations so you may have to go on a mission to match yours.

the bevelled top unscrews ,anti clockwise. exposing a large hex nut which keeps the valve in place. you can get replacement valves ,but there's quite a few variations so you may have to go on a mission to match yours.

Excellent, thanks for the info. The beveled top is on pretty tight. Any idea what I could use to get it off without damaging it?

gets limescale build up on thread and makes it stubborn.!! try pouring boiling hot water on to expand a little ,then wrap a cloth around to protect chrome and you then need a gripping wrench with wide jaws on it. like water pump pliers.

Sponsored Links
if your very lucky tightening the hex nut a little may stop your leak ,but more likely the valve needs replacing.

Right, stupid question time. I'm struggling to get an adjustable spanner in to the nut, because it's slightly recessed, so I went to buy the right size spanner. The nut is 30mm wide, so I bought a 30mm spanner. However it's too big. What size spanner is needed for a nut that's 30mm across?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back