Can anyone identify this brick type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please see below image of bricks, I have to patch in some damaged bricks and need to source some equivalents, any ideas on the type / name / availability?

House build date circa 1965....

Thanks in advance.......

Sponsored Links
Yea I did find these from LBC earlier but these looked too pink......you think it will be a reclamation yard visit?

You don't often find LBC bricks in the yards, as they don't clean up too good, and old ones look really tatty.

Sponsored Links
LBC "Chilterns" are more pinky in colour if you like but they have a more fine dappled appearance. Those in the image deffo have a sandy granular Heather texture.

The clay in LBC's is naturally a pink colour, so as it weathers the face colour changes. The colour does not go through on these bricks.
If you are changing a few bricks scattered around the wall it's more important to get the colour of the mortar right than the brick.
If you look at most walls the bricks vary a fair bit, but the mortar is the same colour.
When a few bricks have been replaced they really stand out if the mortar is really light. If anything a slightly darker colour of mortar stands out less in the wall.

They defo look like LBC Heathers to me. Bear in mind that heathers are normally not one shade - they are normally a mix of three or four. I was asked to report on an extension a while ago that was a different colour to the main house. The owner claimed the builder had used the wrong brick. In fact what had happened was the house owner gave the builder a single brick that was left in the garden by the original builders. The builders matched that brick - an LBC heather - but the extension ended up looking a completely different shade to the original house which was a mix of three shades.

Went to the reclaim yard today no luck....next stop Jewsons and you guys were right they are LBC Heathers, I just had to sort through some to find the lighter ones......Thanks for the pointer everyone.

On the mortar front I have mixed some up before and got it roughly using 4 to 1 : orange builders sand / Portland cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back