CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THIS TREE

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from those relatively far away photo's. Most commonly planted variety i see is jacquemontii birch.

By pruning i assume you mean topping it which in general is bad for trees.

Birch in particular look awful even when pruned well due to the low leaf cover and general growing habit.

It will probably not die should you top it but will forever look mutilated.

Thanks for that. I know what you mean, there are plenty of mutilated trees around here. I would not want that. Maybe I will have to sacrifice it for something smaller. Its growing at an alarming rate. Bought from a garden centre with no info!

Perhaps this closeup could help you to confirm the species.

I know a wild one from Epping forest that is 56 years old and 11 metres high.

I don't know one silver b from another, though. Bark is patchier and ringed, and leaves are smaller.

Sponsored Links
The jaq's are popular because their bark is whiter and more uniform. I am no expert though but would say yours may be a common betula pendula although their back as john says is often more patchy and less white.

I know my tree is a silver birch but what species?

There is only one type of Silver Birch, and it will reach about 20-25m in the UK

The Downy Birch is a bit similar, but tends not to have the central "pointy top", and has more rounded appearance and more greyish. Grows to 15-20m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back