Can anyone identify this UPVC profile bead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have moved into a house that has some very poorly installed UPVC windows on the newish extension. On one of the windows, the side bead has not been installed and so when the wind kicks up, you can hear the wind coming through the gaps.

I am struggling to find out where these windows are from as there are no markings on them at all. I have pulled off some of the beading and this looks as follows:
//media.diynot.com/215000_214963_74168_59478542_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/215000_214963_74169_64019111_thumb.jpg
Can anyone identify this and advise on where I can get replacement beading from?

The original property also has Georgian style windows, the bars are built into the glass. On the extension, the windows they have installed do not have this but to get them to look similar, the previous owners did a DIY job with stuck on trim. As you can see this doesn't look great.
//media.diynot.com/215000_214963_74170_51445775_thumb.jpg

I have looked at replacing the glass but this is too costly as I have lots of other things I need to do before this. What do you think I should do? Try a DIY job again but spend some time getting it much neater or are there alternatives I can look at?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Thats better.

I don't recognize the make Im afraid. Are there and names or anything printed on the frames?
Open a window and look around both the sash and frame for anything.

Astragal bars would be very tricky to get neat without the proper milling machine to cut all the ends. They do sell little plastic bits that are pre-molded meaning you only have to do straight cuts but those bits look pretty awful too and Im not sure what they are called.

Sponsored Links
Thats better.

I don't recognize the make Im afraid. Are there and names or anything printed on the frames?
Open a window and look around both the sash and frame for anything.

Astragal bars would be very tricky to get neat without the proper milling machine to cut all the ends. They do sell little plastic bits that are pre-molded meaning you only have to do straight cuts but those bits look pretty awful too and Im not sure what they are called.

Annoyingly not, no writing or anything.

Ok, I may just need to bite the bullet then and pay for new glass. Bugger

Don't recognize those beads at all, dare i say it but they could be some obscure profile no ones heard of the likes of B&Q or Wickes sell

As for the geo bars they are astragals and the bain of my life, some pics here

I think you might be right which is probably why it was missing some strips. I assume it's basically a case of living with it then? I guess I would be best off squirting some clear silicone into the gaps then?

The astragals do look like a headache. Where do you buy yours from and are they expensive?

Never had the pleasure of having to buy any, those in the photos are of an insurance job as is all of my work, basically the white clip thingy sticks to the glass with 1mm glazing tape and the bars thump onto them, you need to stick them them on with a laser level :LOL: otherwise the bars are all wonky, then after a while the sun softens the adhesive on the tape and the clip pops off and the bars rattle against the glass everytime someone slams a door

I believe the astragal bars are a universal bar that any fabricator could use, however i assume they would need to have the correct cutter head that would scribe the ends where they butt up to the beads around the edge, the inside cuts are just straight cuts so long as you have the clip on intersections, otherwise you'll need to scribe them in as well, not that would be a pain because if your stick on thingys are all over the place then so will the bars and then when clipping these on some will be short and some will be long............a total pain :evil:

Good link, have come across these people before but like i said we never had to buy any. Having thought about it further i remember the customer moaning that they couldn't clean the glass easily and them having to clean each square individually was a real pain which i had to agree with to be honest, they also had to sack a few window cleaners because they kept dislodging the stick on bits

Oh hang on I thought cranks pics were the op pics, you are after a window bead, for some reason that looks like a eurocell bead

I initially thought they looked like eurocell beads but they have a different tongue, heres some eurocell beads

They look a bit like old Coastal beads but dosent look quite right, Having said that I haven't seen one up close for about 8 years.

As for your silicone idea. Masking tape in each direction, use white silicone and shaping it with a small scraper may give reasonable results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back