1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

can anyone offer any advice on Bisque radiator valve?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by robpeake, 6 Oct 2021.

1. robpeake

robpeake

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hi all, im looking for some help we have a bisque radiator fitted and its been in for about 12 yeas, it needs a TRV changing because it leaks only when its very cold outside.
    I bought a angled valve and had a plumber come out today and he said ive had the wrong valve.
    The plumber said the way it has been plumbed in there isn't much room if any to remove so will have to probably take off the wall to fit it but there isn't any give on the pipe in the wall.

I've been looking online and bisque are crazy prices for a valve, it looks like the original valve is 15mm on one side and 1/2inch on the other. Can i used an angled valve with these two measurements

I think the valve set i need is called Bisque valve set D in the nickel plated
    https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/bisque-manual-valves-valve-set-d-pair-2.html

which is there any difference to this valve
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254656380307?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item3b4ab3fd93:g:SEsAAOSwqZ5fEaKa&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSg3Ye8yTWgOW7pmE1t838dvPxg1r%2ByA%2FxC8L%2Fv9dPeQK8GnSJafNEQJlrMwxq1DxMmt8Ej1o0y5PgkldIVqg7HgFSobrX47aGJPbIXcPeEGCaGHnOl0buyPRY16nvYsoGafb7Ij%2Fh4GspXikATsecC%2BLSry%2FM2w1F2LLzM7NTgSVxByFVSoVovIlKONXZbnmnEgwioMpyyX3SUPtDRXLM8xIf1NHOpyrqQkmcCikTNsMCihULwMFhlYxqlMu1GIMuN1Z8hAxDbMVkBn990xeGlqPwRbXOHkUtFt0mOJCsII2LyD9wUDr6gDo2RHxbVLDw4j1JioXjcXyVGJGB59d%2B7eoJOThAKlZ%2BPX22yYSnMdyEfVnXqbv9ehhKvph7s7Swv56btE8WLJ%2BzrjaYgLL2MbkCzduxik5RJoBs4RDsiqkj%2B3XE9WmVR7jxTgw6QnT6CcYGXmefeDh%2B2H6hyKpeBEK6G8qD%2FKDywMHmh%2BRTMc1pi6ALuisUonfK39FXqdT8fnGwaPdId3tiHW2n%2BxKo8beAP8JB3%2FJtfw%2Fn1cmbTn4ruEsZ8c17kZ0kL7MLyJpTuaazm3zjY%2FrRoyVsP%2FDUSE%2BxP4gTpap2QJlOiXRGnu0bMxN0gykFHbw0OYl2Pw9oISXS7rTtCbpRUMg2TQn57WjP4%2Bq%2B241wQQe2Ib9z18SF4bsqjeIHtzu3fBPdQx%2BGXCksKv9%2FJ2KHgdfiIGwU52QwAx1XilJ%2BZLSKr6INEe6eUd%2FjBKguSXGfhfd1mKFEy%2FQvE1Lhny%2F8JBPZ72SPnZy4C%2BGYEf9Q87FLch0Etz2eCP7M3UkrHAeD1Rddr5lb|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524

I dont actually need the TRV on it, it can just be open valve as we never need to turn up or down the heating its always on the top setting as the room is quite large and would get cold.

Ive taken some pictures of the valve against a standard 15mm x 15mm angled valve to show the difference in the size of the nut

thanks
    Rob

Last edited: 6 Oct 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    where is it leaking from ?

4. robpeake

robpeake

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    it the pin in the valve, it moves but leaking from the actual pin, advice on her was try some ptfe tape which i did but it still leaking from the pin iteself.

a online radiator company advised i could use a standard angled valve 15,, but i dont understand why the nut is larger and plumber has already seen the normal 15mm valve i bought

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. jeff the gasman

jeff the gasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The existing radiator valves inlet compression thread I bigger than standard for 15mm.
    I’ve come across this before.
    Buy the same valve and save yourself a headache.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    just remove the pin gland small nut , I think 10mm not sure, once removed clean the pin with wire wool or abrasive paper or some kind of scourer till spotless, apply a little dab of silicon grease to the pin and push back into the gland and re-fit, when you remove the gland a tiny bit of water will come out but not much, then leak sorted, if not you will get replacement glands on ebay for about a quid

• Like Like x 1
  8. robpeake

robpeake

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

thanks i think thats what the manufacturer has said, sent me a mail saying that '' the pipework is 15mm and the nuts on the valves are 3/4

if it is leaking from the insets of the valve where the pin is we can send you the part out so you dont need to change the valve, if you want we can send this out to you.

ive sent a a mail to the plumber but if im correct thats a fairly easy job to do isnt it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    20 minutes start to finish, includes getting out of the van and into your house , very easy job

• Like Like x 1
  10. robpeake

robpeake

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

great thankyou so much