Can Anyone Recommend Decking Treatments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small timber business and I want to purchase the finishing products to sell to my customers i.e. stains, end seal etc.

I don't want to stock a large range, just the popular products that people buy when they are building and finishing off their project. Also maybe something to keep their decks in top condition that should be applied each year.

Can anyone recommend any products from personal experience??

Sponsored Links
Most places round me are large concerns like B&Q etc who sell the full range of nicks and nacks. In that range there will be some products that are good for the money and some products that aren't.

I don't want to sell my customers anything they don't need and I don't want to sell them anything that doesn't work. I want to give them sound advice and offer products to them that will help maintain and keep their decks in the best possible condition for the lowest cost to the customer.

The problem I have with selling decking is that I never see how the deckboards go over time. All I ever see is freshly tanalised wood so I don't have much of an understanding of the future requirements of the customer to help them get the most out of their decking.

Contact some decking installers/chippie's in your area, I'm sure they'd give you lots of useful tips and info in exchange for a decent trade discount.

Sponsored Links
most decent decking should already be well treated. It will go a golden colour in the sunlight after a week or two and then slowley start greying off. It will also start to suffer from small splits etc as it expands and contracts in the weather.

When i install decking i never put any treatment on as most customers like to wait and see what they want to do with it. I always recomend putting on a decking oil rather than a stain as this helps the timber. The problem with stains is you have to keep doing it to keep the colour up and your stuck with the colour once youve done it. (and boy do thye use some awful colours!)

It really depends what customer base your aiming at. A lot of the diy market want the quick and cheap options, or you could go for the more decent stuff like the liberon oils.

Decking restorer would also be a good option as well as cleaner.

Hope it helps!

(can i have a discount now please?) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back