Can C/H expansion pipe be under the surface in feed tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst bleeding my heating system after removing a rad, I got to idly wondering if there is any reason why the expansion pipe doesn't go below the surface of the water in the feed tank. This would prevent any air being drawn back down it, but wouldn't cause any restriction to the expansion of the water - or would it? And any air expelled from the pipe would just bubble up to the surface. Or would there be some problem with a siphon effect that I haven't thought about?

I know it works fine as it is, but I've got an enquiring mind... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be, you'd get water circulating through and heating the tank and oxygenated water going into the system.

That is a common cause of cold water storage tanks getting hot, due to heated water rising from the HWS cylinder.

Thanks for the prompt reply, that explains everything. I knew there would probably be a reason for it.

Sponsored Links
Exactly as onetap says, plus constantly re-oxygenating the water will corrode your entire system in no time (rust feeds on oxygen). Thats why the system treatment additives (amongst other things) de-oxygenate the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back