Can cable behind kitchen units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a cable for a new electric oven (10mm) and I wonder if the regulations will allow me to install the cable behind the kitchen units but exposed on the plaster behind, so it would be between the kitchen units and the plasterboard and out of 'the zones'
Also, can I fix the DP FCU on a kitchen unit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In other words, clipped to the wall?

Nothing wrong in clipping cable to the surface.

As long as the appliance isn't going to rub against it.

If the cable is clipped to the surface there are no 'zones'. Zones are to do with buried cabling.

Thanks for the replies, yes I have already notified the Council.

Also, yes I plan to clip the cable to the plasterboard and, if I can put the FCU on a cabinet wall, then the cable would go inside a cabinet too.

What about putting the FCU in a cabinet?

Sponsored Links

Also, yes I plan to clip the cable to the plasterboard and, if I can put the FCU on a cabinet wall, then the cable would go inside a cabinet too.

What about putting the FCU in a cabinet?
You can not fit socket or switches to the structor of the cabinet.

So when you did, what did you say would be the way you would ensure that the work would comply with Part P?

Did you, for example, by default, (i.e. by not correcting a stated assumption on their part) say that the work would be done by a qualified electrician?

It is quite common for councils to have that in their standard rules,and you are perfectly legally entitled to do something else, but if you do not contradict that assumption then you will find yourself between the proverbial rock and hard place when it comes to completion certificate time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back