Kitchen Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding kitichen wiring:

1. I understand that 150mm from the floor is NOT a safe zone. Therefore, I assume running cables in this zone (eg in conduit buried in plaster behind skirting boards / kitchen units) will not meet current standards?

2 Can wiring be run behind kitchen units (in conduit) on the wall surface if out of safe zones?

3. I have a box out in my concrete floor (approx. 90x90mm) which is covered by a floor board. Can I run electrical cabling in this void?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. I understand that 150mm from the floor is NOT a safe zone. Therefore, I assume running cables in this zone (eg in conduit buried in plaster behind skirting boards / kitchen units) will not meet current standards?
As long as the conduit is metal, and earthed, that will be OK.

2 Can wiring be run behind kitchen units (in conduit) on the wall surface if out of safe zones?
Yes.

In fact it doesn't even have to be in conduit or trunking if it's on the wall.

3. I have a box out in my concrete floor (approx. 90x90mm) which is covered by a floor board. Can I run electrical cabling in this void?
Not sure what you mean...

Thanks for the advice.

In terms of my last point, I have laid a new concrete floor but left a gap around the edge to run cabling in which measures 90mm deep by 90mm wide. I intend to place a floor board over the top to complete the floor and then lay laminate style flooring over the lot.

Any cables must be 50mm from the floor surface.
Any junction boxes with screwed terminals in this void must be accessable.

Sponsored Links
If the void is covered with a metal plate, thick enough to prevent the penetration of nails,screws etc, then the cables can be laid in this area. As already said though, any screw joints need to be accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back