Can Concrete fence posts be mended?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if i've already asked this but!...
iv'e got a post that's broken and exposed a re-inforcing steel bar.
can i patch this somehow, or wil i have to dig the whole post out in the future?

cant' get image onto the post! can anyone tell me how to do that?

Sponsored Links
Realistically it's had it. If there's no movement then you could patch it with mortar temporarily, but in the long term wind will shake the concrete loose.

Are these posts just concreted into a hole dug into the lawn? If so you'll have to dig out, smash it all up and replace with a new one.

If it's a spur with timber post attached, then same rules apply. But if they are set into a large concrete base it will be easier to cut them off flush with the ground and replace with a bolt down metpost to support the timber.

No need to panic yet though, it might hold out for quite a while, however if you see a special offer on concrete fence posts, grab a couple.

Sponsored Links
Cut the bottom out of a plastic bucket, slide it over and down the fence post until it reaches the bottom, fill the bucket with cement, cut the bucket off when the cement has set-This'll act as a temporary repair if the damage is around the bottom of the post.

What about cutting off the broken post and reinforcing and then use a metal sheath/collar of some sort. Seen 'em used before and you could extend with timber or concrete again?

A bit like a metpost post extender, but obviously a bit more heavy duty.

dont watse your time or effort. get it out and replace it. job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back