Can concrete tiles be walked on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sandtoft Calderdale single lap interlocking flat profile concrete tiles.

Building an extension and fitting above tiles. I have got 4 hips, 3 valleys and an 'S' shaped ridge to now sort out. I have got good scaffolding with the eaves about waist height.

My question is do these type of tiles take being clambered about on. They are a fairly thick tile, but the interlocking part looks like the weak spot and I dont want to start cracking them at this stage.

Cheers, Andy.

Sponsored Links
They can be walked on as long as you are careful, tread on the overlap as the batten below will be the support and try to stay away from the interlocks, it is of course very likely that you will break some of course.

Another option (as long as they aren't all fixed) is to remove some tiles to create a walkway up the battens below, as long as the underlay is in good condition you shouldn't have water ingress (though of course you can put the tiles back at the end of the working day).

Depends how heavy you are. I'm getting fatter and feel more and more pop under my feet these days :oops:

Salad for your tea tonight me thinks. Dont eat that organic cucumber from Germany though. :D

When you feel the tiles pop under your feet, does that mean that that one needs replacing?

Andy.

Sponsored Links
You can't often see when the runner breaks, as it is hidden ... but there is normally a distinctive #crack# to be heard - which is then immediately followed by a "Oh S**t" !

Has anyone ever met anybody that's gone through a roof into the loft?

Has anyone ever met anybody that's gone through a roof into the loft?
Jees, you would need to be seriously heavy to do that.

We have on occasion snapped a batten (without tiles) that has had a knot in it and torn the felt, hence the reason i do not accept 600mm centres on trusses.

You would need to be dropped from a height in order to penetrate tiles, batten and felt.

Old roofs can have rotten battens though. Someone must have put a foot through somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back