Can cut/adapt square tiles to fit an opus pattern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title explains really, I just want an honest opinion as to whether it is do-able? Obviously I understand it will mean a lot of cutting!

We got a great deal on a load of natural stone tiles (300 x 300mm) and would ideally like to lay them in an opus pattern, could they be cut to achieve this?

Any other pattern suggestions would be welcome,

thanks,

Giuseppe

Sponsored Links
how many m2 ?

it is possible with natural stone (what kind?) but to get the accuracy you would need your need an watercooled overhead bench style cutter - and a good one at that. this style

http://www.tradepricetiles.co.uk/tools/electric-cutters-mixers/610mm-bench-cutter.html - with a gauge and solid base.

i suspect that this, and the extra a fixer will charge you will completely negate the good deal your talking about.

You may be able to hire a cutter like this, and if your doing it yourself then time isn't directly costing you cash. if you go ahead, set your gauge and cut all of each size, let them dry out before fixing.

how many m2 ?

10 m2

(what kind?)

Travertine Honed Filled Straight Edge

you would need a watercooled overhead bench style cutter - and a good one at that. this style

http://www.tradepricetiles.co.uk/tools/electric-cutters-mixers/610mm-bench-cutter.html - with a gauge and solid base.

i suspect that this, and the extra a fixer will charge you will completely negate the good deal your talking about.

You may be able to hire a cutter like this, and if your doing it yourself then time isn't directly costing you cash. if you go ahead, set your gauge and cut all of each size, let them dry out before fixing.

Yeah I will be doing it myself, that saw looks serious! So will probably rent, if possible. Are there no other saw options then?

Does the water need to be delivered by the saw or can I just wet the tile before/during cutting?

Cheers

something like that is going to be needed to give you the accuracy. anything handheld or 'push through' allows you to move and so you'll end up with variations.

water is delivered by the saw - it cools the blade and stops dust. wetting it doesnt even get close to the amount of water involved :)

Sponsored Links
Okay, If the we decide on an opus pattern then I'll have to hunt down a saw to rent, can't be buying one of them monsters!

Cheers dude,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back