Can earphone wire be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed that bare wire is starting to show in places on my earphones.

What would be a good way to repair the knicks/prevent further damage to the internal wire?

Attachments

• IMG_20240130_221637486~2.jpg
    IMG_20240130_221637486~2.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
I would run a length of heat-shrink sleeve over the damaged areas and shrink it with a heat gun.
But these things aren't built to last.
May be time for a new set.

I would run a length of heat-shrink sleeve over the damaged areas and shrink it with a heat gun.
But these things aren't built to last.
May be time for a new set.

Surely the sleeve will have to be large enough to slide over the earphones?

Do some heat shrink sleeves have a greater degree of potential shrinkage?

Sponsored Links
Surely the sleeve will have to be large enough to slide over the earphones?

Err,:unsure: ...on my earphones the plug end is much much smaller than the earphones end.......! :rolleyes:

There is certainly variation. 2:1 is the cheap and nasty default, 3:1 and 4:1 are quite common.

I've bought some as high as 6:1 before, but it was a thick as heck even before shrinking and ridiculously thick after. It was also a nightmare to shrink would not recommend.

Headphones sometimes use what is known as "tinsel wire". This uses a textile core with metal foil conductors. Tinsel wire has advantages in terms of flexibility and durability under repeated bending.

Unfortunately such wire is not friendly to repair. Stripping it without damaging the foil is hard, and then soldering destroys the textile core making the wire extremely fragile. Manufacturers use special crimps to avoid the need to strip and solder, but that doesn't really help the repair guy.

As mentioned, hot melt glue over the area, once it has started to go from clear to whiteish start rolling it with your palm (wear gloves) so that your rolling a sausage shape, perhaps do it on some greaseproof paper etc. then roll that over in order to roll it all.

Will go the hot glue route as don't want limit the degree to which buds branch off.

Thanks lads, you guys are always great!

Headphones sometimes use what is known as "tinsel wire". This uses a textile core with metal foil conductors. Tinsel wire has advantages in terms of flexibility and durability under repeated bending.

Unfortunately such wire is not friendly to repair. Stripping it without damaging the foil is hard, and then soldering destroys the textile core making the wire extremely fragile. Manufacturers use special crimps to avoid the need to strip and solder, but that doesn't really help the repair guy.

Never not learning. Thanks for the background info.

As mentioned, hot melt glue over the area, once it has started to go from clear to whiteish start rolling it with your palm (wear gloves) so that your rolling a sausage shape, perhaps do it on some greaseproof paper etc. then roll that over in order to roll it all.

When I need to shape hot melt glue I spit on my fingers, and invariably still feel the heat.

I suspect that you are talking about the low temperature glue sticks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back