Earphones Melted Whilst Connected To Laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was just on my laptop, about to watch a video on youtube, when I reached for my earphones and noticed that the left earphone was unusually hot. I suppose i only noticed because it was hotter in comparison to the right earphone and when I took it out of my ear, the wire that meets the actual speaker bit appeared to be melting and is now very sticky. After about 10 seconds, it returned to normal temperature.

Does anyone have any idea how this possibly could have happened? i've never known anything like this before.

At the time, I had my Nexus 7 tablet connected to the laptop via USB. Laptop has been on all day in quite a warm room. Area near headphone jack is rather warm, but I'd imagine is normal as i said laptop has been on all day. Do you reckon this is a cause for concern? Please help!

Sponsored Links
Near a window?

Nope

Had a heatwave in Bulgaria?

Just a bit :(

are you using a grounded power adapter? ie metal earth pin rather than plastic

Yes it's a grounded power adapter presumably hence the metal pin on the English plug (connected to a European travel adapter). Just curious why you are asking :) Sorry I only know a little about electrics. Earphones still working by the way although the outer flex has melted and can now twist it round as it's detached.

I understand that it's likely not possible for anyone to give me a definite answer on the cause of this problem, but perhaps just a suggestion or two on how this could have happened and whether I should be concerned as feel a bit uneasy on using the laptop now :(

Sponsored Links
As a young lad I used some stereoscopic head phones and turned up the power and burnt out one of the units. So yes if you have volume too high it could over heat them.

stereoscopic head phones

Wow they could blow your mind!

As a young lad I used some stereoscopic head phones and turned up the power and burnt out one of the units. So yes if you have volume too high it could over heat them.

No I didn't have the volume on at all because nothing was playing in them at the time.

EDIT: Finally figured out the cause, at the time, one of the earphones was right next to the fan vent and was blowing hot air on it which caused the earphone to get very hot and for the flex to melt. I can relax now, phew!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back