Can fitting a upvc back door be that hard?

I'm new in here, just about to fit a new pvc back door, all glass. I notice DIYISFREE says dont forget to top and tail. What do you mean by this? I've fitted all my windows and internal doors but never an exterior door :confused:

he means, 'toe & heel' packers to prevent the door from dropping. ;)

Sponsored Links
I measured as instructed brick-to-brick for the external doorway and ordered the upvc door & frame, but it turns out that my doorway's existing frame is rebated into the brickwork - the external wall gap is narrower than where the door should sit. Get someone who knows about buildings to help you measure up, unless you're absolutely sure yourself. Any hints on how to get round this would be appreciated

you could hire a (large) angle grinder to trim the brick. Even a large one will only go through about one brick. If you make a partial slot and try to trim off with a bolster you mat get cracking or ragged edges.

It will be quite dusty.

You can also get a brick handsaw saw with carbide teeth. They are seldom seen and quite expensive.

Sponsored Links
Fiting a plastic door was 1 of my first diy jobs when I moved in to the house, bought a door from b&q an got on with it, 1st time id ever done anything like that an it took about 4hrs an a few trips to b&q to buy things i never thought about, expandable foam, beading, silicone then morter to tidy it up.

And just remember when you have fitted the door, to check if you need to register it will Local Building control , as you will have trouble selling the property at a later date without a certificate , hence why Upvc companies are Competent Person Scheme registered ( eg Fensa , Certass etc )

Sorry the link dosnt work. Google "profix installation guide" and it should be the 3rd result in the list.
Quite a good little installation guide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back