Can grouting leak water?

S

Sombrero

I've recently retiled the bottom row of tiles above the bath and put in a plastic sealing strip behind the tiles and over the bath.

I now have a small leak, but seeing as i siliconed under the plastic, i'm wondering if it's possible that the grout between the tiles is 'leaking'?!!

It's possible that when i grouted the joints, i wasn't completely thorough, so is it feasible that the joints can leak 100ml of water during a shower?

Sponsored Links
waterproof grout doesn't stop water passing through it, it just doesnt fall apart, so yes water could be passing through it.

!00ml is a leak - not a bit of dampness through grout.

just spotted that, yes your right that does sound a hell of a lot.

Sponsored Links
where exactly do you see the water, its very unlikely that the amount of water you are saying is permeating through the grout, I would think either the joint between bath edges and tiles is not silicone sealed correctly or you have a leak

I couldn't agree more.

I took off the bottom row of tiles (nightmare job!) and cleaned up the walls and bath top. Then applied a bead of sealant between the bath and wall.
I then applied a weak solution of pva to the wall where i'd removed the tiles and the paper on the plasterboard....

I then put on the tile adhesive, applied a bead of sealant to the bottom of the 'L' shaped plastic strip, and pushed it into the tile adhesive. Put on a bit more tile adhesive and pushed on the tiles.

I now read the small print on the Wickes "all purpose sealant" tube i used...

Limitations: "locations subject to continuous water immersion where porous substrates would permit water infiltration to the bond surface"

WTF does that mean? I figure if water falls off it, then it's ok. But if you have a plastic strip under a shower which traps the water on the sealant it fails?

And to support that, yesterday, there's a wet white liquid coming out from under the plastic strip !!

I've now bought a "power shower clear sealant" and put that under the edge of the plastic strip. Looks cr@p, but will have to do. I can't be arrised taking tiles off again !

defo NO PVA.

Question for you

Before you sealed with silicon, did you fill the bath with water, then silicon, leave water in overnight or for at least 3-4 hours to cure, then drain water out?

Reason i am asking is, the water adds weight to the bath, allowing it to sink a little , if you just silicone, when you fill he bath or stand in it for a shower, the bath will drop slightly, that's where your water could be coming from.

defo NO PVA.

Question for you

Before you sealed with silicon, did you fill the bath with water, then silicon, leave water in overnight or for at least 3-4 hours to cure, then drain water out?

Reason i am asking is, the water adds weight to the bath, allowing it to sink a little , if you just silicone, when you fill he bath or stand in it for a shower, the bath will drop slightly, that's where your water could be coming from.

Thanks for the reply.

I used PVA because in taking the tiles off, the paper came off the plasterboard, so i was left with raw plaster.

And i've heard the 'fill the bath' advice, and in modern baths, i think that's a fallacy. I did that when i first installed the bath, and if it moved at all it was lass than 1mm, and with a 5mm bead of flexible sealant between the bath and wall, i can't see that being an issue. And this time, i marked the wall and got in the bath and the mark was the same.

The final application of the proper silicon seems to have done the job though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back