Can half a double electric socket break?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Story: Yesterday we had a powercut. After the powercut, my office lost Internet. I have a 2 double sockets in the office, one under my desk is used to attach to a Belkin 7 way surge protector and a DP Link homeplug. The other double socket has wife's computer and spare.
After the powercut the homeplug was not picking up the Internet.

I changed to use a different homeplug (old BT spares) and that did not work either. #confused

I noticed that although the power light came on the TP link (ethernet / data did not) the BT was dead. I tried the first homeplug in another socket (under adjacent desk), it worked.

So, it seems that the right side of the left sock, which the homeplug was connected to, is faulty.

Never happened before - is this likely to be the case? Can one side of a double socket stop working properly? I always assumed electric sockets were pretty robust things. If that is likely the case, I'll get it replaced. Just seems odd to me!

Sponsored Links
I struggled to follow this a little so I apologise. Do both side of the double socket have power and work for other appliances like a lamp or computer etc..? (forget about the homeplugs for a moment)

Was the homeplug that you say didn't work, plugged directly into the socket or via the surge protector?

Homeplugs are hit/miss at best, so I'm trying to establish if you have homeplug/signal issues or if its the actual socket.

omega015, the homeplug was in the plug socket direct, it had some power but did not maintain it. Another homeplug did not work at all.

Until now I had not tried anything else in that socket. Just tried a fan, and it worked OK. Weird!

Just tried the other homeplug (the spare) and the power light seems to be staying on now.... even weirder.

confused. Maybe I will leave it for now as the have Internet back and the socket appears to work .... although, not with the original home plug....

Sponsored Links
Homeplugs are very temperamental and can lose connection due to interference etc... You might need to pair them again or something or the power outage might of messed a capacitor/component or something causing it to fail now and again.
If you have problems with homeplugs not working, best thing is to unplug them both, place them in the same extension/socket and redo the pairing and then plug them in where you need them. I'm sure I heard surge protectors and/or filtered extensions causes issues with them.

yes, once removed and break them open its usually the switch contact that has failed/burnt/broken

So, maybe they just needed to make up after falling out? OK, that I can understand!

An ideal opurtunity to get rid of nasty Homeplugs . They are bad technology that cause interference to other uses of the RF spectrum. Probably illegal if someone complained.

Wrote it properly with CAT6 cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back