Double socket off a cooker outlet switch query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a gas hob in a flat that I rent out that was fed from pipework under the floor. on a recent safety check the engineer found a leak so I got him to cap off the underfloor pipework. I cannot see an easy way of getting the pipe to the gas hob without it being seen in the kitchen.

So I am looking to get an induction hob instead. I have seen some that have a plug on them so I was wondering whether a single spur socket that is currently connected off the 32A cooker outlet switch/single socket can be changed to a double socket. so that both the electric oven and induction hob can be plugged in to the double socket. There is nothing connected to the cooker outlet socket as it will be spare.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes 2 3KW devices can easily be run on a 32A supply but not on a double socket, 2 single sockets should be fine.

Can't you use the existing socket in the cooker switch for one?

Would it make sense to add a socket below the worktop and controlled by the cooker switch, following on from that how about 2, one each for the oven and hob?

Hi Sunray,

The only reason I was thinking of not using the cooker switch socket was because the plug on the oven is pre-molded and I assume that the induction hob would be the same. Hence why I was thinking of a double socket being suitable. As I have 1 socket below the worktop that is controlled by the cooker switch already. Can you add another spur off the spur that already exists.

Hi Sunray,

The only reason I was thinking of not using the cooker switch socket was because the plug on the oven is pre-molded and I assume that the induction hob would be the same. Hence why I was thinking of a double socket being suitable. As I have 1 socket below the worktop that is controlled by the cooker switch already. Can you add another spur off the spur that already exists.
The simple answer is yes you can and that is what I suggested. The existing socket is not a spur, a spur would be connected to the live side of the switch and not controlled by it.

Do you know what size cable is between the switch and socket? If it's 4mm² I'll say no problem.
If it's 2.5mm², technically it's rated at 26A and big enough to supply the two 3KW loads (assuming they are both close to 3KW) however I'd prefer to change it to 4mm² or fit a second 2.5mm² from the switch for the second socket.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I believe it is 6mm down to the socket.
In that case add a second socket, 2.5mm² T&E is adequate.

Depending on the existing socket you may struggle to fit 2.5mm² in with 6mm² so be prepared to change the sockets over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back