Can I ‘Throttle’ my stop cock?

It's fine to choke your flow down at the mains stopcock. Seen it lots of times.

Usually between half a turn and a full turn from fully closed. You have to experiment to get it "right" for your house and useage.

Sponsored Links
It's quite amusing, I had to fit a Homeboost pump to get our flow up to 12l/min, the whole street has dire water pressure.

First world problems and all that..

It's fine to choke your flow down at the mains stopcock. Seen it lots of times.

Usually between half a turn and a full turn from fully closed. You have to experiment to get it "right" for your house and useage.
Yes fine, if you overdo it the boiler may not come on and also you may have a whine or whistle caused by the restriction but as long as that is OK no problem.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago I tried to tame the high pressure on my own supply using the stop cock and it just resulted in annoying hissing whenever a cold tap was opened. Much better to install a pressure reducing valve which gives better control and can help get rid of noises including water hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back