Can I add cheap PIR to a regular plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, for various reasons, I would like different types of plugged lights to turn on by PIR around the house. Eg, under kitchen counter lights etc.

From china I can buy a PIR light switch (all automatic) for a few pound. I have one in my hallway for the mains light. Works a treat. The component in the circle looks very small.

Is there a PIR component I can buy to wire externally to a regular plug to activate it? I refuse to pay upwards of £10, £20 for a special plug with built in PIR. A real rip off for a bit of added circuitry. I also refuse to buy another "PIR kit" comprising of a set of plug socket adapters and a PIR sensor. Overkill and also not flexible enough for what I want. I already have a Byron kit like this, and the transmitter won't turn on multiple sockets at once and off at once. No good in the kitchen to activate lots of independent lights.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would suggest cheap PIR sensor from China, if you going for cheap stuff that is?
I personally don't, so can't recommend one for the values you are willing to spend! I value quality and safety at premium, when it comes to potentially dangerous equipment.
Any way you can look at what is available, but it could be out of your budget:
http://www.qvsdirect.com/PIR-Detectors-Passive-Infrared-sensors-c-583.html

thanks. Will consider buying an external sensor. Just had quite a few lights to add to PIR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back