Can I automatically switch a fridge between 2 sockets?

What about this:

Run the fridge from a car battery and an inverter.

Connect the outputs from two battery chargers to the battery

Plug each battery charger into the respective sockets.

Sponsored Links
What about this: Run the fridge from a car battery and an inverter. Connect the outputs from two battery chargers to the battery Plug each battery charger into the respective sockets.
That's really just a variant on the theme of using UPSs, which was discussed early in the thread. As was discussed, one issue is that, given that the load is a fridge, a pretty hefty/expensive inverter might be needed in order to be able to provide the high start-up current of its compressor - as I said, I've seen many people complaining that fridges won't work (not enough current available for compressor to start) from small generators.

Kind Regards, John

OK, here’s the present arrangement I have for MY application (not the OP’s) for switching a small load to an alternative phase (of a single 3-phase supply) in the event of failure of the usual phase: ........ I really am pretty comfortable with this arrangement, but I’m sure that some of you will have some comments, and quite possibly reservations, about it! Posting ‘what one has done’ is always dangerous :) I imagine that it's asking far too much to even hope that no-one will find any fault with it :)
Nearly all of my working life has been dominated by the concept that one should generally not draw conclusions from the absence of information - or, at least, should be incredibly careful if trying to do so. Hence, whilst it's tempting to be re-assured by the fact that no-one has raised any issues about what I have done, I hope that anyone who can think of any issues/problems (or errors!) that have so far escaped me would/will put up their hands and tell me!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back