Can I change the DHW sensor myself on my boiler - or is it connected to the Gas?

Sponsored Links
Measure the flow rate from your hot tap.

It should not exceed 9 litres per minute.

Who told you to replace that sensor?

Tony

Hi Tony,
We a plumber came around and said that it needed doing. If the flow rate is more than 9 litres per min - how do I reduce it? thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Was this plumber someone who came to quote for repairing the boiler and he told you what was needed and went away unpaid so that you could take advantage of his free diagnosis?

Tony

ha ha! no! - it was a plumber that came around and told me that firstly it was the heat exchanger that needed cleaning off - so he did that - I paid him, it didn't work - he came back and then said it was something else (which I cant remember exactly - but it cost me £80) then didn't work and finally he told me it was the DHW sensor all along and wanted £160 to change that - so I bought one and did it myself - but that hasn't worked either - it is annoying tbh - because it started happening when we had a new bath plumbed in upstairs.

ha ha! no! - it was a plumber that came around and told me that firstly it was the heat exchanger that needed cleaning off - so he did that - I paid him, it didn't work - he came back and then said it was something else (which I cant remember exactly - but it cost me £80) then didn't work and finally he told me it was the DHW sensor all along and wanted £160 to change that - so I bought one and did it myself - but that hasn't worked either - it is annoying tbh - because it started happening when we had a new bath plumbed in upstairs.
But at least I have saved myself £160 quid - which seems a lot for what was actually involved!)
Heating is working fine BTW

That sounds like what we call a parts changer who has no real diagnostic skills and changes parts at your expense until hopefully it works or you get fed up and call someone else.

I should expect to enjoy being the "someone else" but in most cases I am dealing with a customer who has already paid £400 and has an intense dislike of heating engineers and even complains about my £84 to fix it properly.

In a couple of days I am going to be a "someone else" after British Gas have failed to fix a boiler after 8 visits. But she is a lovely old lady who made me some fish curry the last time I saw her and wants to make me some more this time.

You should not have to pay for parts which do not effect the repair.

It sounds like the plate heat exchanger was blocked and still is!

Tony

I should expect to enjoy being the "someone else" but in most cases I am dealing with a customer who has already paid £400 and has an intense dislike of heating engineers and even complains about my £84 to fix it properly

Do you rock up with your underpants on the outside Tony? :LOL:

Personally i don't this has anything to do with a fault on the boiler.

well if that was the case - surely the hot water would be coming through the cold tap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back