How Do You Replace a Boiler Temperature Sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a temperature sensor in my condenser boiler. It looks easy enough but I would like a little help and advice.

It looks like I have to screw the sensor into the pipe (inside the boiler), because I see a little thread on the new one I just purchased. Do I have to part drain any water that's in the pipe where the current faulty sensor is situated? I don't want to just unscrew it because obviously that would leave a little hole resulting in water leaking.

I'm not sure if it's just a small amount of water that needs draining in order to replace one of these? These sensors are so tiny it looks like just a couple of quick turns and it's fully home. Just then need to attach the two wires onto the sensor pins.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Moderator 11
Please note rule 10 (Posts covering DIY gas work are not allowed.) - See here for the forum rules.

It's nothing to do with gas. It's plumbing. Just like replacing a PCB in the boiler is electrical. My gas cooker is more dangerous,..anyone can turn the cooker gas knob on and forget to turn it off!

Sponsored Links
The sensor just screws into a pocket. Removing the old one won't release any water.

But isn't the front panel the outer combustion chamber cover which forms the room sealed feature of this model?

And so what a DIYer should not be removing?

Tony

Please forgive my intrusion and I'm not sure if its even relevant here, but when I'm replacing thermostats back in their pockets, I use a heat transfer compound to ensure they work correctly.
Servisol is a make that springs to mind?
John :)

But isn't the front panel the outer combustion chamber cover which forms the room sealed feature of this model?

And so what a DIYer should not be removing?

Tony

The front cover of the boiler comes off for access to PCB, pump, condensate trap, thermostats etc but combustion chamber itself is covered with it's own plate cover. The temperature sensor on a Potterton Performa is nowhere near the combustion chamber. It's attached to the flow pipe so it's just a plumbing job.

It all depends if it is a Band A or band B.

So what is the premix type called?

Performa HEs are band B with a standard gas valve and recouperator.

No current Potterton or Baxi I can think of has an outer case that creates the CC seal.

Please forgive my intrusion and I'm not sure if its even relevant here, but when I'm replacing thermostats back in their pockets, I use a heat transfer compound to ensure they work correctly.
Servisol is a make that springs to mind?
John :)
many of them you shouldnt be doing this, just causes a pressure build up which damages the sensor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back