Can I cut a hole in kingspan insulation for a recessed book case?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please see my attached drawing. My daughters bedroom is has eaves so there is a void both sides of the room. I want to build a recessed book case (which I have started) and have it recessed in the wall.

I started by cutting a hole in the plaster and then through the kingspan to reveal the void. I now have a perfect rectangle hole in the wall for my book case.

Will I violate any building regulations or cause myself problems doing this? Can I just add the kingspan I cut out on the back of the book case?

Below is 'the hole' and below that my drawing and finally my inspiration for the project. Really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
IMG_8402.JPG

kingspanquestion.png
TheInspiration.PNG

Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
If you insulate the insert of the bookcase, including top, sides and bottom as well as back of it. That should not compromise the heat-loss.

Last edited:
Just to add to prenticeboy's post, if you don't insulate around it in the void space, there may be a tendency for condensation to form on the back lining;
not good for books.

You must ensure the continuity of insulation around the back of the bookcase void. So, as prenticeboy says, basically 'box in' the bookcase all the way around at the top, bottom, back and sides with insulation. Tony1851 is also correct as if you don't do this, then the back of the bookcase will be cold and could therefore cause condensation or mould growth on the books.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks all. I have purchased some flexible insulation that I can wrap all around the back of the book case.

Just a thought... unless there is (another) access to the void insulating the sides,top and bottom is going to be rather difficult given that you can't insulate before you fit the unit as it'll be too big and once it's in you can't get to them from the room.

W.

Hi Wolfie1969, I've thought of this. There is enough room in the void for me to push the bookcase in through the opening into the void then apply the insulation to the sides and back and then bull it towards me into the opening where I will secure it against the joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back