can i cut bt cable before master socket ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
can some one (hopefully ex BT worker ) answer this !!!!!!!!!
can i cut the incoming BT cable ,were it is fixed to the brick work outside and comes from the pole , and put in a jointing box ,then run new cable to master socket ???

And is the incoming line fused at the exchange at all ??
so if i cut them it will cause a problem or notify BT it has been done . :?:

Sponsored Links
The master socket and cables before it are not your property, so you should not be cutting them or altering them in any way.

The line will have a fuse or some electronic equivalant on it, and may also have monitoring equipment to detect faults.

Cutting through it is therefore likely to cause problems, and while BT (Openreach) will repair this, they will charge you. Or they might just terminate your service completely.

thanks Flame port

is there a way around moving this master socket from bedroom to another room by going out side ??

Sponsored Links
If you damage or modify BT equipment (i.e the master socket), this would technically be a breach of the contract you have with them. They could then terminate the contract. However, it is unlikely, unless they repaired it and then you didn't pay them for the cost of repairs.

As for the original question - not clear what you are trying to do.
If you want a telephone socket in another room, just fit an extension socket wired to the existing master.

If you really want the master socket moving, the only correct option is to contact BT (or whoever supplies your telephone service).

If you damage or modify BT equipment (i.e the master socket), this would technically be a breach of the contract you have with them.
There is no such thing as a technical breach - it's simply a breach.

They could then terminate the contract.
Have you any experience of this ever happening?

However, it is unlikely, unless they repaired it and then you didn't pay them for the cost of repairs.
So, your opinion is that they are not likely to terminate the contract, unless they're really pushed into it.

As already stated , you SHOULD not do this , but if you do makes sure you use external graded cable (Dropwire 10) DO NOT use internal 6 wire as this will break down in time and if you get a fault and have to report a fault then your Service provider will hit you will a bill for at least £170+VAT.
Regarding cutting the line , yes you can do this without anyone knowing or blowing anything in your local exchange , the only time it can cause a problem is if it had a continuous short circuit (LOOP) across the pair for more than 24 hours , the linecard shuts itself down.

Hope that helps.

hello
can some one (hopefully ex BT worker ) answer this !!!!!!!!!
can i cut the incoming BT cable ,were it is fixed to the brick work outside and comes from the pole , and put in a jointing box ,then run new cable to master socket ???
If all you want to do is move the master socket, can you not just put a JB inside the house, and not have to worry about cutting/joining/extending the external drop cable?

If you do cut it, watch out for the reinforcing wire - it's a vicious little b***er....

thanks for the replies

so in a nut shell i can cut them and not cause a problem if and only if i cut the wires one at a time so not to cause a short with the cutters .

if that make sense .

thanks

The incoming cable upto the master socket is owned by bt openreach you only rent this,If you want it moving you could just run a internal extension from the master socket,B.t would only know if you`d altered it if your line developed a fault then expect a hefty bill,your line could stay disconnected for weeks and b.t would not come calling,the line test robot randomly checks for earth and battery faults(touching another line) not disconnections or loops,Im not aware of any where that sells b.t downlead or dropwire so a engineer would know straight away you`d modified the line.Any joints are a fault liability,dropwire should only have one joint per 3 spans of cable,most households are only one span from the d.p .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back