Can I demolish my house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, bit of a weird one and Google isn't helping me!!

Hubby and I live in a detached house that was built 60 years ago by his grandparents, his grandparents live next door and his parents live in the farmhouse next to them. All the buildings here are owned by his parents.

We moved in two years ago, completely redecorated, new kitchen etc, and since then I've had nothing but trouble with my health. I have a rare respiratory disorder which has been extremely vulnerable since we've lived here and when I moved out for three months last year my health improved dramatically!!

Anyway, we have mold in every room, and now we have an upstairs wall which is wet and it's not on a corner, it's not even facing the worst weather, so we can't work out where it's come from. We have two chimneys and both are crumbling according to our builder, who said if it was his house, he'd have it condemned.

So, can we have it condemned for demolition? I can get medical reports etc, we've had new windows put in, and new radiators in an attempt to battle the damp but nothing is working. We can't render the house as the bricks won't allow it to stick apparently?! Do I need to call environmental health for a report? How do we proceed? Would insurance cover any costs?

Thanks all, sorry its long and complicated!

Sponsored Links
I believe you will need planning permission for demolition. And then again for a rebuilt house in whatever style you like, with building control involvement to prevent damp buildup ever again. Have a word with the council.

Other than that it's your house and you can do with it what you like!

But who does the condemning? Surely I can't just say 'our house is crap we're knocking it down' without some kind of report or recommendation that it is inhabitable?

If you're willing to pay for the reconstruction then it's you who's condemning it.

Or are you looking towards your insurer to pay for the cost of a new house? You can talk to them but I doubt it will be a quick or fruitful process.

Sponsored Links
I guess we were hoping the insurers might help with costs due to the fact the house is proving difficult to repair. The grandparents have paid it for over 50 years! I'm going to have to get a copy of the insurance contract I guess.

Thank you.

I would give them a call personally and see what they can do. I doubt they'll demolish and start again but they might be willing to undertake the necessary repair, maybe more so as it's on health grounds.

There's millions of homes out there with damp of one sort or another though. And you have to be sure your insurer is going to take action on pre-existing conditions.

Just to add I've never made a claim myself so you might get lucky. There will be others more expert along in a minute.

i could be wrong but i would say there nil chance off insurance help
they will not pay for updating or problems through lack off maintinace or bad design in the first place

they will pay for things ruined through accident but not through lack off maintinace

I think it is ludicrous that your builder can not sort out the damp problem for less then the total rebuilding cost of the house. As for render not sticking to your bricks, says more about your builder then the bricks.
You don't stand a snowballs chance in hell to get money out of your insurance company for a poorly designed/maintained house.
Take a look at the thread on the lofty pressurised air system on this forum. I suppose your builder could at a push, cut some holes in the ceilings? to install one. I have doubts about it but it would seem about £50,000 cheaper then your present solution.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back