can i dot n dab plasterboard over bathroom tiles ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will it stick etc ???

Hi guys basically I have bought a house with a fully tiled bathroom, its quite big so can afford to allow it to creep smaller by overboarding the walls. I really want to dot n dab it as it'll be quicker, and less messy than hacking all the minging tiles off first.

btw I dont mean in the shower area etc just on the opposing decorative 'do nothing' walls.

Just really want to know whether dot n dab mix will adhere ok to wall tiles

Thanks

Sponsored Links
dagger said:
Just really want to know whether dot n dab mix will adhere ok to wall tiles
What I would do is to take out a few tiles where the adhesive will be so it's bedded onto plaster wall.

:D

superb - why didnt I think of that

Thanks mate - thats great and will keep the overboard that bit closer to the tiles too

Hi there,

If the tiles will get wet (i.e. in the shower bit) you should use a cement-based backing board (i.e. like Hardibacker - available from Topps Tiles and similar) as plasterboard will disintegrate as water will always pass through the grout.

Hardibacker and similar are impervious to moisture.

Cheers

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
why dont you just remove all the tiles ?

ok so a bit of plaster may come with it but i cant beleive someone would want to bodge such a job ? even if it is your own bathroom :confused:

There is not a problem with d & D imo. As long as the tiles are firmly fixed and you use pva first it shouldnt be a problem. Put a bit of sand in the pva for extra adhesion.

thanks gents much appreciated - Im going to hack some tiles out as advised and dab in the holes - will get cement based plasterboard for the shower bit too

cheers guys

Diyisfree - I know getting the tiles off is ideal but the room is really big and I wont miss the few inches and I really cant be doing with the mess and potential replastering nightmare

one last thing - how many dabs do you think I should use per each 8ft plasterboard ?

Hello dagger, new here etc.

I generally get 2 8x4 boards to a full bag of gear. (25kg)

I offer the board up to the wall and mark round it, usually with an offcut of plasterboard, being on tiles a marker pen might be best.

Then i apply the drywall neatly all the way around the edges, and 2 equal lines down the middle section. This always gives me a sound fix

I make my dabs roughly an inch to an inch and a half, depending on the runout of the wall. yours should be pretty sq/plumb having been tiled, but
having said that, ive seen some extraordinary tiling in my time...LOL

Am I the only person to think that this is a nutty thing to be doing?

If you're going to be re-tiling, then just tile over the existing tiles. :confused:

I agree with you Softus but.........

dagger said:
I really want to dot n dab it as it'll be quicker, and less messy than hacking all the minging tiles off first.

masona said:
dagger said:
I really want to dot n dab it as it'll be quicker, and less messy than hacking all the minging tiles off first.
It won't be quicker than not dot'n'dabbing, and it won't be less messy than not hacking all the tiles off. :confused:

Suppose so, depending how much damaged plaster if left on the wall if it's need re-plastering.

The way I did my bathroom as the plaster was blown, I took the whole lot off, plaster & tiles together as it was easier then dot n dab as the bathroom was needed quicker, couldn't wait for the plaster to dry etc.

I think your idea is best though, to tile over existing tiles providing the old tiles are okay

but I dont want to retile over the new plasterboard - I want to decorate / paint it

Doh!

I thought I did read it right, stop winding me up Softus :p ;)

dagger said:
but I dont want to retile over the new plasterboard - I want to decorate / paint it
Oh really?

What does this mean then?

dagger said:
thanks gents much appreciated - Im going to hack some tiles out as advised and dab in the holes - will get cement based plasterboard for the shower bit too
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back