Can I extend wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just bought a wall light, but cannot install it as the inlet for the wiring is on far right and the wires in the wall are in the middle. The wires are about three inches long so do not reach far enough over to be connected. Can anyone advise a safe way of extending the wiring? Space is tight in the fitting and any wires would have to go past a 40 watt light bulb. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

PY

Sponsored Links
You may use any method you want - connector blocks, solder, etc - dig out the wall to make room?

I'm not sure I understand why the wires would have to go past the bulb.

You may use any method you want - connector blocks, solder, etc - dig out the wall to make room?

I'm not sure I understand why the wires would have to go past the bulb.
By wall light he could mean an exterior bulkhead, I've seen those where the cables need to be run somewhat past the lamp. Although they often come with HR sleeving if thats the case

Yes, I was thinking it was a bulkhead.

I didn't think it would have the entry hole one end and the connections the other.

Sponsored Links
pics.gif

Light fitting.jpg Sorry, I should have attached a photo, here is one. The hole behind the light bulb is one we drilled-the original wire entry point if to the far right behind the wire connectors. I am worried that if we extend the wires with normal plastic connectors the heat from the bulb will damage it.

And that's why you'll observe that all the internal wiring, including that to the shaving transformer, is covered in heat resistant sleeving. And you will also observe that the unit has a label which states the maximum wattage bulb is 25watt.

How about taking out that 25W halogen lamp, chucking it away, and replacing it with a 3.8W (or thereabouts) LED??? That will sort out the heat problem!

I am worried that if we extend the wires with normal plastic connectors the heat from the bulb will damage it.
You should also be worried that water will get into the light through that hole you made.

Jolly good.

Next time you have the opportunity to hold a working 25W halogen, or even better, arc lamp between finger and thumb, please do so, and let us know how it went.

It's a basic law of physics that a 40w bulb would generate more heat than a 25w bulb. And a 3.8w much less. So if the enclosure with cables is rated for 25W then 40w bulbs might damage it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back