can I fit a 32 amp rcbo?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a qualified electrician - do the reulations allow me to fit a 32 amp rcbo or must this be done by someone suitably qualified?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Anyone is 'allowed' to do it.
The only requirement is that they be 'competent'.

However, the RCBO and associated circuit must be tested to ensure it is safe.
This involves equipment that you will not have.

Should the associated circuit be a new one this will involve notification to the Local Authority Building Control before the start of the work and involve a not inconsiderable fee.

Should the associated circuit be a new one this will involve notification to the Local Authority Building Control before the start of the work and involve a not inconsiderable fee.
The OP appears to be in Wales. I think that means that this work would probably be notifiable (given confirmation of the exact details of what was being done) even if it did not involve a 'new circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

A new circuit IS notifiable either way.

Therefore I presume you mean changing an MCB for RCBO - so I will disagree.

Wales only.
NOT notifiable -
1. Work consisting of—
(a)replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
(i)any new fixed cabling, or
(ii)a consumer unit

Note to others; 'like for like' does not exist.

Sponsored Links
A new circuit IS notifiable either way.
Agreed.
Therefore I presume you mean changing an MCB for RCBO - so I will disagree.
Nope. I took (perhaps incorrectly) the OP's question about whether he could 'fit' an RCBO to refer to adding a 'new' RCBO, not replacing an MCB (or pre-existing RCBO) with an RCBO. That, in itself, would now be notifiable in Wales, but not in England - although it's very likely that a 'new RCBO' would imply a 'new circuit', hence notifiable in both places.

I agree that, even in Wales, replacing an MCB with an MCB (or, as you say, probably also replacing an MCB with an RCBO, since there is no 'like for like' rule) would not be notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

That's alright then. :)

I thought that if it does NOT involve a new circuit then a circuit must already be there and so it would be a replacement.

You never know, though.

That's alright then. :) I thought that if it does NOT involve a new circuit then a circuit must already be there and so it would be a replacement. You never know, though.
Quite, and in the 'you never know' situation, we would probably be dealing with something aboiut which there could be a lot of deabte, and varying opinions.

This situation actually arose in another thread a day or two ago, which you probably saw. An OP said that (for whatever reason) an electrician had wired a garage supply to the same MCB as a kitchen circuit, despite the fact that there were spare ways available in the CU, and asked whether he should move the garage supply onto a separate (new) MCB. I answered that ideally he should, but felt obliged to add that some may say that he thereby was creating a 'new circuit', which required notification. What do you think about that? All of the wiring and accessories on that circuit would have been 'old' - would you say that simply moving it onto an MCB of its own constituted 'installing a new circuit'?!

Kind Regards, John

I think that could easily be argued either way but I did advise, in that thread, that an electrician should be employed 'to save the LA fee' intimating that it was as the extension of the circuit needs to be done properly although the existing would appear not to have been.

I think that could easily be argued either way ...
That was obviously my point.
...but I did advise, in that thread, that an electrician should be employed 'to save the LA fee' intimating that it was as the extension of the circuit needs to be done properly although the existing would appear not to have been.
Fair enough, but that's obviously introducing other issues. If there were no such 'additional issues', one would obvioulsy have to make a decision as to whether the shift of an 'existing' (and satisfactory) circuit to a new MCB did, or did not, require notification. If I dare say it, the pragmatic answer is probably a rhetorical question - namely "who on earth would ever know that it had been done, even if it did require notification, but was not notified?"!

Kind Regards, John

You may very well think that; I could not possibly comment. £1.80 or £400.00
Quite so - and nor can I (comment). As I said, it was a question, not a comment :) ... but, of course, for a DIYer deciding whether to notify or not, it's not really "£1.80 or £400", but, rather "£0 or £400"!

In fact, it terms of my question about 'who would every know that it had been done' (without notification), I would imagine that finding a kitchen and a garage circuit on the same MCB would be more likely to arouse suspicions of 'un-notified DIY work' than would finding them with their own separate MCBs!!

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks for the feedback - I'm sorry to have caused a bit of uncertainty by not mentioning that this question is based on replacing an existing MCB with an RCBO as EFLImpudence assumed. The reason I ask the question is I am planning to have new kitchen - the kitchen co. arranged for an electrician to come out and assess costs.
He quotes
Reposition socket for dishwasher and fridge - (I don't think required as they remain in situ)
Isolate cooker and extract fan during 1st fix
Reconnect appliances on 2nd fix
Fit 32amp rcbo to existing consumer unit for new range circuit
Full test of kitchen socket circuit and cooker circuit
for which he proposes to charge circa £300. Is this reasonable or have I missed something? Looks like 2 hours work (which he mentioned) plus say £40 cost of items. Even allowing for mileage and other expenses it looks like it costs over £100 per hour for labour. Is this the going rate for a qualified electrician these days?

Many thanks for the feedback - I'm sorry to have caused a bit of uncertainty by not mentioning that this question is based on replacing an existing MCB with an RCBO as EFLImpudence assumed. The reason I ask the question is I am planning to have new kitchen - the kitchen co. arranged for an electrician to come out and assess costs. He quotes
Reposition socket for dishwasher and fridge - (I don't think required as they remain in situ)
Isolate cooker and extract fan during 1st fix
Reconnect appliances on 2nd fix
Fit 32amp rcbo to existing consumer unit for new range circuit
Full test of kitchen socket circuit and cooker circuit
Thanks for the clarification, but I confess that I'm still a bit confused. If an electrician is going to be undertaking this work, why did you ask whether a qualified electrician was needed to fit the RCBO. I also wonder which of the circuits you're talking about replacing an MCB with an RCBO for?

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2 - the kitchen fit is only a proposal at this stage I haven't agreed a contract so I just wanted to weigh things up. Re the circuit I guess it relates to the cooker which is being replaced - currently built in electric oven (gas rings) to be replaced with range cooker with electric oven (gas rings).

JohnW2 - the kitchen fit is only a proposal at this stage I haven't agreed a contract so I just wanted to weigh things up. Re the circuit I guess it relates to the cooker which is being replaced - currently built in electric oven (gas rings) to be replaced with range cooker with electric oven (gas rings).
OK - I think I may be a little closer to understanding! The quote you mention talks about fitting a RCBO in the CU for a 'new range circuit', so I assumed this really was a 'new circuit' (and that it refered to a 'new' RCBO for a new circuit, not an RCBO replacing a previous MCB on an existing circuit), but perhaps I was wrong.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back