Can I fit a tap or handle to this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an outside valve(?) on the rising main in the garage. I currently use it as a tap by turning it off/on using a spanner.

IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG

(Youll that Ive put a little bit of hose on there just to direct the water a little better.). Is there a way I can easily fit a tap on here? Or atleast a handle of some sort that I can use instead of a spanner (which keeps falling off and is going rusty).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont know how to fit a tap and its way beyond my DIY skills (cutting pipe etc...). Just looking for an easy way to attach some sort of handle.

Sponsored Links
Get a plumber to cut the pipe, insert a compression tee and fit a brass bib cock to the remaining branch....you'll still be able to drain down if necessary.
I wouldn't rely on the washer in those things - if it fails there will be some grief!
John :)

Get a plumber to cut the pipe, insert a compression tee and fit a brass bib cock to the remaining branch....you'll still be able to drain down if necessary.
I wouldn't rely on the washer in those things - if it fails there will be some grief!

Thanks. Ill do that at some point.
But for now, Ive just found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302327839016?ul_noapp=true . Looks like it will do the job?

Are you saying that the washer could fail becuase this is a valve rather than a tap? In other words, its not really meant for regular use like a tap.

When would this valve be useful? Why would I want to drain the system? If I changed a radiator or something?

Apologies for all the questions - but this is on the rising main going into the house so is quite a crucial element I should know more about. :)

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The key you show may or may not fit -best to measure across the flats to see if yours is 6mm (mine are around 7mm) :eek:. If it fits, it will do the job of course.
This is a drain down cock - very useful for other work or when the house needs to be drained off in the winter or whatever. A normal stopcock will do the same, but of course the system will still be full. If this is a mains wet riser then it won't be connected to the radiators, rather to taps or tanks or whatever is in the building.
These drain cocks have a small rubber washer inside, and replacements aren't always instantly available but you can get them....they aren't designed for regular use.
Ideally, you should have a quality stopcock down at floor level, then the pipes should rise to your proposed tap - and then everything should be nicely lagged.
Once on site, all of that could be sorted in a pretty short time by a plumber.

I dont know how to fit a tap and its way beyond my DIY skills (cutting pipe etc...). Just looking for an easy way to attach some sort of handle.

You can buy a kit to add a tap, which doesn't involve any plumbing at all - you don't even need to turn the water of. It uses a clamp to seal around a pipe and then cuts itself a hole in the side of the pipe.

You can buy a kit to add a tap, which doesn't involve any plumbing at all - you don't even need to turn the water of. It uses a clamp to seal around a pipe and then cuts itself a hole in the side of the pipe.
Have you got a link? I wouldnt even know what to search for. Ive just tried googling 'drain cock' and the results were... not appropriate.

Only my opinion but I wouldn't go anywhere near those things.....I wouldn't rate their reliability and the small copper disc that comes away can cause mayhem.
These are known as 'self cutting taps'.
J.

Only my opinion but I wouldn't go anywhere near those things.....I wouldn't rate their reliability and the small copper disc that comes away can cause mayhem.
These are known as 'self cutting taps'.
J.

+1 for the above. And as someone mentioned using the drain of as a tap will end with it leaking

Ive just been out to take some more pictures. Just so Ive got this straight: I have a stop cock (tap vey near floor just below the ground wires) which stops ALL water to house; then a drain off valve (which obviously drains the system); and the insulated pipe. Have I got that right? :)

IMG_1727.JPG

The other blue pipe is a pipe from a disused well. At some point I want to fit a pump to it so I can use that as grey water. But thats a different forum post altogether. :) (perhaps something you guys could help answer my questions to)
IMG_1726.JPG

This is the spanner I currently use to get water from this tap/valve. So I need an 8mm tap/handle(?)

IMG_1729.JPG

I take your points about the valve leaking if its regularly used. But I only see myself using it 3x per week in the summer months if I cant be bothered to go into house with my watering cans. On that basis theres no imminent risk of it leaking is there? Maybe in a few years.

Ive just been out to take some more pictures. Just so Ive got this straight: I have a stop cock (tap vey near floor just below the ground wires) which stops ALL water to house; then a drain off valve (which obviously drains the system); and the insulated pipe. Have I got that right? :)

View attachment 164922

The other blue pipe is a pipe from a disused well. At some point I want to fit a pump to it so I can use that as grey water. But thats a different forum post altogether. :) (perhaps something you guys could help answer my questions to)
View attachment 164923

This is the spanner I currently use to get water from this tap/valve. So I need an 8mm tap/handle(?)

View attachment 164924

I take your points about the valve leaking if its regularly used. But I only see myself using it 3x per week in the summer months if I cant be bothered to go into house with my watering cans. On that basis theres no imminent risk of it leaking is there? Maybe in a few years.
Come back on then!!..

View attachment 164922

View attachment 164923

View attachment 164924

Thats basically the system you have.....above the earth wire connection there seems to be an isolator/one way valve (I cant see the pic well, small screen) and then your drain down cock.
You can continue with what you are doing but the drain down isnt designed to be used as a tap -you also wont get full bore water flow.

Thanks all for your help. Im going to buy a little handle-thing which will fit and then - when I have a bit more time to think about it - get a plumber in to put a proper tap on. I may not use it at all, so not worth getting a proper tap. Ill see how it goes. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back