Can I fit a tap or handle to this?

As the other professionals have mentioned, don't use the drain off valve as a tap. It isn't designed to do that, the washer in it is thin and not designed to be used frequently and worst case is it doesn't seat properly or threads inside fail and then whole valve just spins leaving you with a full flow gusher. It is there only to allow the mains to be drained down and nothing else.

Don't use a self cutting tap either, I have gone to more of those taps that have ended up leaking than any others.

Oh and in relation to the lockshield key ..... look at the size of the spanner you use and then look at the size of the lockshield, you may find that's you're 2mm too small ;)

Just get a plumber in, shouldn't be much more than £50 to get a tap fitted.

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion but I wouldn't go anywhere near those things.....I wouldn't rate their reliability and the small copper disc that comes away can cause mayhem.
John :)
These are known as 'self cutting taps'.
J.

I installed one here as a quick solution ten years ago- to add a second outside tap at the side of the drive, with an eventual intention to plumb a 'proper' one in when I got a roundtuit. It doesn't/didn't leave a loose copper disc, rather it cut its way in and left the cut disk copper firmly attached to the pipe, by a tab.

It doesn't/didn't leave a loose copper disc, rather it cut its way in and left the cut disk copper firmly attached to the pipe, by a tab.
You're right, it should but if some diy'er over tightens the cutter, it can detach, I have fished more than one of those disks out of tap filters in my time

But the OP is in Surrey - you're looking @ Agile rates

never thought of that :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You're right, it should but if some diy'er over tightens the cutter, it can detach, I have fished more than one of those disks out of tap filters in my time

I appreciate they might not all be the same, but my version was impossible to over tighten and cut the disc loose in the pipe, because it came up against a shoulder.

One I looked at ( not mine I hasten to add :eek:) had produced a disc which had lodged into a flexible pipe to a utility room sink....almost impossible to duplicate!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back