Can I fit an expansion vessel anywhere on the circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my brothers combi boilers diaphragm has burst and its at the back of the boiler which is built into kitchen units so I said just size it up and fit on the heating circuit some where accessible, any reason why not .
Thanks

Sponsored Links
No reason why not, just fit it in the return side of the heating system.

How do you know it has burst, possibly just needs re-charged,

Sponsored Links
Lots of water or just a little? An EV will always have a little moisture on the dry side.

If fitting and EV, size it correctly and fit it as close to the return at the boiler as possible to minimise the amount of heat it's subjected to.

Lots of water or just a little? An EV will always have a little moisture on the dry side.

If fitting and EV, size it correctly and fit it as close to the return at the boiler as possible to minimise the amount of heat it's subjected to.
A lot of water I can just get in to test the valve not just a weep also definitely burst as it blows off at the prv when heating is on and water heats up and expands
Thanks

The prv would still activate even if it just needed re-pressurised too, hence checking if the valve passes lots of water. If it does then it probably is burst and needs replaced .... don't forget to isolate and empty the internal vessel.

means nothing , re-pressurise properly, if EV is indeed burst you wont be able to pressurise it and you will hear the air bubbling into it, about 1 in 50 failed vessels actually need replaced , the rest just need charged properly , not just by trying to pump them up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back