Can I fit my own Boiler??

Chris is of course quite correct in what he says above from a legal point of view.

Unfortunately for those of us who do gas work and are competent and choose to register with CORGI, we are then forced to follow conditions of membership and rules imposed by CORGI who unilaterally decided to make them conditions of our registration.

Worse still, when an association chose to challenge the rules imposed by CORGI, the Court upheld their power to impose those rules "because it was reasonable to do so in the interests of gas safety".

Tony

Sponsored Links
Blimey charlie this just keeps running and running

for the love of god mate if your happy you wont kill yourself or the missus and kids, not to mention the nieghbours by not fitting it right DO IT

if you think for a minute "wait a minute the lads on this sight really know thier stuff and have been doing it for years and THEY still cannot agree whether I can do this or not, and they keep talking about stuff I have never heard" then DONT and pay some one to do it for you. because you will only have to make one mistake.

Unfortunately for those of us who do gas work and are competent and choose to register with CORGI, we are then forced to follow conditions of membership and rules imposed by CORGI who unilaterally decided to make them conditions of our registration.

Indeed, but colonelcuthbert is not registered with corgi so not bound by them. Competence is determined by the HSE, not Corgi.

Corgi can change rules of registration, not gas law. To the man working in his own house Corgi are irrelevant.

Its quite true that CORGI are irrelevant to a man in his own house.

That man is however still bound by the Building Regulations and if his boiler is not Certified by a CORGI engineer then it "must" be inspected by the BCO because its a "Controlled" Installation.

( Yes, I know that few BCOs know anything about boilers and all they can look at in practice is the flue. )

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sure, but that is not the same as saying "your Corgi engineer must ..." as though he has to have one. He doesn't.
The householder would have to pay Building Control, £300 we are told, but he may still be better off by a considerable margin.

ChrisR is correct, you can install your boiler, but if you want it certified then you must notify your local BC your intention to install the boiler, they will then inspect the boiler and issue a certificate of compliance, I do not know what the inspection covers and they may ask you to carry out a tightness test, you will be charged for this inspection, charges will vary.

CORGI registered installers should not commission or register appliances that they did not install, not for corgi's sake, but for your own sake, why should we pay for registration, pay for ACS and be hassled with beurocracy, to then make these peoples life easier, let the unregistered and DIY'ers sort their own installs out, you should not assist them if they choose this route.

My understanding from a lecture by a team leader BCO from Ealing is that practically speaking they charge the fee ( from £130 ) and visit and inspect the installation but DONT issue a Certificate of Compliance because they dont have the necessary skills and qualifications to know that it really complies.

Whilst you cannot register an appliance which you did not instal you can commission it, if you choose to do so.

Pretty soon, the Government will make the Home Information Pack part of legislation when buying a house (although there are some exceptions). This will be down to the seller of the property to sort out.

Some lovely solictors are already working on the principles of the Home Information Pack in areas such as electrical work, requesting Electrical Installation Certificate for any new stuff (e.g. kitchen/bathroom/new mains circuits from the consumer unit). Easy for them to check when new extensions have been added.

Gas has conditions associated with it, and Oil does too.

The Home Information Pack 2006, in its draft mode (for England and Wales), is currently stipulating that SERVICING of gas MUST be carried out by a Corgi registered installer. New installations would currently require that a Corgi registered installer checks and tests the installation, or your local authority - as long as they are aware of it all from the beginning. Hot potato here then.

OFTEC require that from 1st April 2005, all installation work should be identified by an OFTEC certificate or Building Control completion certificate.

There will also be a lovely section on energy efficiently. Not just for the boiler by the looks of it, but for the complete property.

This will all be part of the buy and sell process that happens today. Designed to make everyone feel happier.

More likely to cause a housing crash as home buyers / sellers realise that buying and selling is a whole new ballgame. This report will act as a massive bargaining chip!

This whole area is going to become alot more complicated indeed - across many trade related industries. Good side is that it brings 'trade' back in to fashion, whereupon people learn to become qualified and also have a nice certificate at the end of it. Clearly, those who know anyhow will just be able to go through some form of certification process.

This stuff is clearly thought up by 'those who know best'. I only read it with interest. Anyone who can't sleep at night should read here :-

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1161272

The draft is here :-
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/pub/487/Draf...DraftProceduralGuidancePDF399Kb_id1161487.pdf

:)

Blaze said:
This will all be part of the buy and sell process that happens today. Designed to make everyone feel happier.

More likely to cause a housing crash as home buyers / sellers realise that buying and selling is a whole new ballgame. This report will act as a massive bargaining chip!
Had you just returned home from a day out at Alton Towers, by any chance, when you wrote this?

Softus said:
Had you just returned home from a day out at Alton Towers, by any chance, when you wrote this?
Would be nice to go there at present, just come out of a two day meeting with some French people, caught up on this thread and thought I'd add some more food for thought in...
;)

SOme enormous majority of homeowners will never have had, or will have lost, stuff to go into their HIP. I daresay Building Control will be delighted to hear from people who want copies of "Notifications" so they can sell their houses!
All that the gas installation itself will need, as far as I'm aware, would be the equivalent of a "Landlords Gas Safety Record". If the total installtion comprises a combi and a hob, that's less than half an hour, and fifty quid, ta. So it's still much cheaper to employ Vlad the Installer from Transylvania to put in your new boiler and get a bit of paper when you need it.

Blaze said:
Softus said:
Would be nice to go there at present, just come out of a two day meeting with some French people, caught up on this thread and thought I'd add some more food for thought in...
;)
Should that not be cuisine for thought, then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back