can I fix a ledger above a wide opening?

TFU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently in the planning stages of constructing a pergola over our patio.

My aim is to use a length of 4x2 to run the entire width of the property and attach them to the mortar between the vertical yellowish bricks just above the door and window height, instead of adding vertical posts.

I'll then use this beam as a base for adding the other 4x2 pieces of timber that will be used as the 'roof' area.

2 posts will then be used to support the timber fram away from this wall near to the end of the patio.

My father thinks that this may cause problems for the window and door as there will be extra vertical pressure on them and suggests that I add the beam to the staggered bricks above the yellowish bricks.

What do people suggest? Will it make a difference?

Complete newbie and appreciate any comments and criticisms.

PXL_20220522_145845522.jpg

Sponsored Links
Those yellow "soldier" bricks may in fact be nothing more that thin brick slips applied to hide the steel lintel beneath which you can actually see (i.e the thing that is actually supporting the wall above the opening). Personally, I think I'd go higher

• Thanks
Reactions: TFU
One of the times to ignore dad. There is a lintel there to take the load of the wall, and no load is put on the frame - the load of a pergola is minimal regardless.

Fit the timber, it is a standard thing and wont cause any problems. Fixings should be into the brick (which are not slips) and not the joints.

You may need the pergola to be higher than the buff bricks, to avoid it appearing to be too low

• Thanks
Reactions: TFU
Sponsored Links
Hi! Remember this thread!?

I had to wait for council housing planning to get back to me. It only took them almost a year to get back to me. I'll be taking your advice into consideration and doing it this year, Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back