Can I flush my boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
15 year old potterton netaheat boiler has been quietly kellting for a few years. As I have cleaned to CH system and refilled with preventatives over the years, it makes it slightly quieter for a while but always comes back. It is a hard water area and the system wasn't treated by the builders or me for about first 5 years and onviously when I've drained the system for cleaning, the pipes down to the boiler and the heat exchanger itself never empty as they act like a sump. So, I assume I have a lot of dead scale etc in the heat exchanger causing the problem.
At the botom of the heat exchanger there is about 2 inches of what looks like a drain pipe with an end stop fitted, I assum this is threaded. If so, this would potentially allow the heat exchanges to be drained and flushed. Anyone have any experience of doing this or why it shouldn't be attempted e.g. is it more than just a threaded refit of the end stop to ensure heat exchanger integrity ?

Sponsored Links
As long as it's not connected to a Primatic type hot water cylinder I would stick in Sentinel X200 and X100 together and leave it in, it should help, give it a couple of weeks to take effect, not sure about the bit of pipe on the boiler, anyone else know ??????

PVM did you mean X100 there??

The Netaheat had four tappings in all, the top left one has a long bit of bent iron pipe coming upwards, the other three are just holes in the casting. If it's in a fully pumped system the lower left gets a bung put in it, usually with a drain cock. That's what I did on mine - the rubber gave up after a few years, presumably it didn't like being so hot. My wife did the cock up a bit tighter and it stopped. Peanut to the first person who guesses why my wife did it!

ChrisR, thanks for info, mine is pumped CH and gravity water and does have the 'bung' end stop in the bottom left as you decribed. Can you confirm that implied in your post that there is a rubber washer in that end stop, if so I will feel ok about getting it resealed without compromising the integrity of the heat exchanger.
With regards to why your wife tightened the end stop (cock), I don't want to get barred from here.

Sponsored Links
The rubber washer's in the drain cock. Any plug screwed in there would be solid iron or brass.

My wife's arm is thin enough to go down the back of a Netaheat with a small spanner. Actually that's why I married her.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back