Can i get away with 15mm pipe?

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I run five decent sized radiators off of one pair of 15mm pipes back to the boiler or should I be using 22mm?

Average radiator size is approx 100cmx60cm double convector.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Generally no, but it does depend on the boiler flow/return differential.

Tony

I suspected as much. I should probably just buy the required 22mm pipe (I already have a load of 15mm) and do it properly.

iep

Sponsored Links
Non cond boiler then about 3.5 kW from a 15 mm pipe.

Depending on differential then if a cond boiler then about 4.5 kW from 15 mm.

In a small property it will usually be OK with 22mm to a split with 15 mm going upstairs and 15 mm going downstairs.

It does look a bit cheap and like a semi cowboy job though.

Tony

Do it the proper way you know it makes sense,In the good old days we use to design heating system and use correct pipe sizing and bends using a pipe bender so there was the least amount of stress on the sytem.Now people think they can get away with it,but look at the future costs in maintence and having a system running correctly

the words "can i get away with" in the title means you really know the answer before you ask :LOL:

Non cond boiler then about 3.5 kW from a 15 mm pipe.

Depending on differential then if a cond boiler then about 4.5 kW from 15 mm

double that. I love it when you make up figures in your head tony.

going by your est size thats less than 10kw. On a SE boiler would be pushing it, on a steamer it would be fine.

Max heat dissipation is limited by
1)noise - there comes a point where you hear the water going through the pipe. It has to be fast to carry the energy you need.
More than about 3.5kW - 4.5kW on a conventional boiler and you're risking hearing it.
This is especially true with TRVs. If you have enough pressure to get water through 5 rads, then 4 shut their TRVs, the flow through the last one would probably make that one's TRV sing loud and clear.

2) Pipe resistance/pump head. It depends how long your pipes are. You might find your pump can't shift the water through fast enough. Even if it can, you would find balancing a bit of a nighmare if other loops off your system are effectively much easier.

Thanks all for the advice. Been out and bought a few metes of 22mm to do it properly.

Unfortunately, in another part of the house there are three radiators that will have to be hooked up by one 15mm feed from the boiler (not enough space for 22mm between the floor boards and concrete slab beneath) but it is only a short run.

Total rads will be 4k on this spur and the boiler is a condenser so I guess this should be okay.

Cheers,

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back