Can I glue a curtain track?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rented flat without curtains which I would like to install before winter to keep heat in at night. My rental agreement precludes drilling holes into the walls. I am considering buying plastic curtain tracks (not rods) for medium weight curtains which will be very close to the walls and I'll sew Velcro to the sides. Is it realistic to use No More Nails adhesive to fix the tracks to my painted brick & plaster walls?

Attachments

• Curtain track.JPG
    Curtain track.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
No more nails will bugger a wall way more than a couple of screws.
There are telescopic poles that will take a decent weight.
However telescopic (no matter how good) won’t hold much compared to screws.

Okay, I see. I can't afford to buy an electric drill just for this small job, particularly the kind that I'd need to drill into what might be a steel joist, so this project might not be possible for me.

Sometimes “contact engineering” works.
a piece of sturdy timber cut to fit inside the window reveal and encouraged to fit with a hammer could work, even supported by a couple of less sturdy verticals to make a Stonehenge style timber surround.

Sponsored Links
I'll have to leave this until I can find someone to help me with it, as I have neither the tools nor the expertise.

I would ask the landlord if you’re allowed to have a curtain rail by means of drilling a hole, or ask them what they suggest you do.

In the meantime what do you have to cover the windows?

Is the window recessed? If yes, is there a radiator below the window. If yes and you fit a curtain over the opening, you may find that the convection currents get screwed up.

Seriously, a photo will help people more knowledge than me to give you further advice. Regards...

Edit--- as an aside, why have you selected a "stock" image for your profile. You are not obliged to have any image.

At no point did anyone mention you needing to drill in to steel joists but you mentioned it in passing.

I am here to "try" to help people, please convince me that you are a real DIYer that needs help.

Last edited:
1. My windows have roller blinds. There is no radiator; I use an electric heater plugged into a wall socket.
2. I mentioned steel joists because I suspect that one is above one or both windows, and because when I read references to them elsewhere, people stated they needed a specially powerful drill for them.
3. I have very limited DIY skills which is why I came here for advice from people who are far more experienced and with more expertise.
4. I like the avatar I have used.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBW
Put a spring loaded shower rail inside window reveal.
That will probably mark walls over time.

Curtains with the tugging won't be supported with anything like sticky velcro and glueing will only stick to the the paint, so if the glue don't fail the paint will and come off.

It's a drill for the rail with decent fixing especially at the ends.
Best go speak to landlord and ask for rail being you don't want to live in goldfish bowl.

1. My windows have roller blinds. There is no radiator; I use an electric heater plugged into a wall socket.
2. The photo is not a stock image but one from the online site of the shop (Wilko) where I intend to purchase the curtain tracks. As I haven't bought them yet, I couldn't take my own photos.
3. I mentioned steel joists because I suspect that one is above one or both windows, and because when I read references to them elsewhere, people stated they needed a specially powerful drill for them.
4. I have very limited DIY skills which is why I came here for advice from people who are far more experienced and with more expertise.

You are correct, there almost certainly will be steel above the window reveal.

curtain tracks aren’t fitted directly, usually a timber batten is screwed up first.

You can get no drill telescopic poles, but reviews are mixed.

I can see curtains costing quite a bit of money. It might sound mad, but I’d consider getting a sheet of insulation board, cutting it to size, then gaffe tape around the edges to stop it wearing and glue on a couple of handles - then stick it up at night in the window reveal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back