Can I hang a 10.5kg bathroom cabinet on tiled/plasterboard wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to hang a bathroom cabinet in the bathroom where there are tiles on plasterboard. However the cabinets I am looking at weight around 10.5kg, will this simply be too heavy for this type of wall regardless of fixings used?

If it can be done what fixings would you recommend for such an application?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
As Crystal Ball suggests, try to locate the wall studs and if possible secure into those. Even if just one side is secured into a stud (with the other side secured into the plaster) this is better than no studs at all. If not possible to locate studs and assuming the cabinet has a sufficient quantity of fixing locations, you should be ok with heavy duty wall plugs designed for hollow walls. The key is to ensure you install the fixings correctly e.g. hole not too big to ensure maximum grip can be achieved by the plug once screw tightened. And remember not to overtighten as you might crack a tile!

use these if you cant find a stud

Sponsored Links
use these if you cant find a stud

These are stronger:

Cold you pop a tile off behind the cabinet?

IMHO those Gripits are not really designed for a plasterboard plus ceramic tile on front (9.5 to 15mm wall thickness)
PB alone being 9.5 (ceiling) and 12.5/15mm on walls.

There are alternative PB plugs and toggle action fixings if a stud or noggin can't be located.

I've used Fischer's UX range to successfully to affix 'towel rails' doubling up as disability grab rails on our PB ensuite and bathroom (6 screws per rail). I did manage to find a stud for one or two screws, though. They also hold radiators on the same walls in the same rooms. You must use screws long enough to go right through the end of the plugs.
Other brands do similar (inc Rawlplug). Don't be tempted to fit too short a plug, it needs to go through tile, adhesive and plasterboard and still have enough to 'knot' behind the board to work properly.

Why would there be plasterboard on plasterboard, which suggests a solid wall.

Long concrete screw through to the plaster/block/brick underneath.

Blup

Thanks for all the replies. The house has metal studs so even if I did find one I can’t see it would be all that helpful. It is an internal wall. I will have a look at some of the fixing later mentioned. I may try and buy a lighter cabinet in all honesty.

My house has Paramount everywhere upstairs. There is not a lot of wood in those panels.

Sponsored Links
Back