Can I hang a 10.5kg bathroom cabinet on tiled/plasterboard wall?

Sponsored Links
Google neodymium magnets, they will identify the position of the studs assuming they are steel, even through tile. Not sure I would risk anything weight bearing on them unless perhaps on a wooden batten which had been fixed to the plasterboard in between the studs as well on them, so spreading the load. OOI when was the house built?

Blup

These are stronger:
Just to add, I have used these for our (heavy) bathroom cabinet with tiles on the wall.
Drilling a 1" hole through a tile is interesting, and I recommend checking youtube for reference before doing it. But it does the job.
Its a bit of a faff, and if the wall is thicker than expected, you may need a longer screw, but its certainly strong.

Sponsored Links
As it's metal stud you'll probably need to fix to the plasterboard and avoid the studs. But I'd try to fix it so there's a stud running somewhere close to its centre, with plasterboard fixings either side. So its weight will be leaning into the stud rather than trying to bend the plasterboard. It will be pulling outwards at the top but pushing inwards at the bottom, so having a stud behind it would definitely help.

If it weighs 10.5kg empty then it may be much more after it's had a load of jars and bottles stuffed in and on top of it. If you're determined to do it then definitely decent metal fixings that pop out and grip the back of the board, not just screw-in plugs, even the metal ones, definitely not plastic ones of any sort.

Drilling tiles is OK with the right bit and technique, lots of guides and youtube videos available. Masking tape, pot of water, start off at an angle if using a hole saw type. You definitely don't need to take a tile off.

Google neodymium magnets, they will identify the position of the studs assuming they are steel, even through tile. Not sure I would risk anything weight bearing on them unless perhaps on a wooden batten which had been fixed to the plasterboard in between the studs as well on them, so spreading the load. OOI when was the house built?

Blup
House is couple years old, moved from an older house with wooden studs which was handy for hanging up heavy items.

Sell the house and buy a proper one made of solid stuff.

Or tell whoever had the bright idea to get a bathroom cabinet to get on with fitting it.

More seriously, have you considered a floor-standing cabinet, or perhaps a few small shelves?

This is surely being overthought? Buy some decent fixings, ensure you follow the instructions properly, slap the cabinet up, job done :)

If, and I stress the word if, the tiles are properly adhered, I bet you'd get away with drilling holes in the tiles that are just big enough to take a standard plastic plug with appropriate screw. Done properly, that would hold.

I think somewhere in-between "sell the house" and "hang the cabinet on the tiles" lies the answer!

I wouldn't trust the tiles as I've seen so many scarcely stuck.

Butterfly toggles should do the trick.

I think somewhere in-between "sell the house" and "hang the cabinet on the tiles" lies the answer!

I wouldn't trust the tiles as I've seen so many scarcely stuck.

Butterfly toggles should do the trick.
I always found butterflies a bit awkward to work with, much prefer umbrella fixings, need to buy a setting tool though

Just to add, I have used these for our (heavy) bathroom cabinet with tiles on the wall.
Drilling a 1" hole through a tile is interesting, and I recommend checking youtube for reference before doing it. But it does the job.
Its a bit of a faff, and if the wall is thicker than expected, you may need a longer screw, but its certainly strong.

Looks good. Bit pricey but good

Does the wall unit use the same kind of hanging brackets as a kitchen wall unit?

If yes then, assuming that it is supplied with two small hanging plates, for the left and right, drilling a 1" hole may not work. Those hanging plates are often only a couple of inches wide. You can however purchase longer ones that will span the full width of the cabinet and enable you to drill several holes and distribute the load.

Does the wall unit use the same kind of hanging brackets as a kitchen wall unit?

If yes then, assuming that it is supplied with two small hanging plates, for the left and right, drilling a 1" hole may not work. Those hanging plates are often only a couple of inches wide. You can however purchase longer ones that will span the full width of the cabinet and enable you to drill several holes and distribute the load.

I've used them a couple of times, once on an irregular stone wall, securing on the high points and once on a stud wall, just fixing to the studs. Useful piece of kit.

Sell the house and buy a proper one made of solid stuff.

Or tell whoever had the bright idea to get a bathroom cabinet to get on with fitting it.

More seriously, have you considered a floor-standing cabinet, or perhaps a few small shelves?
Haha brilliant! I have, however, am thinking of a buying a cabinet which is a decent bit lighter at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Back