Can I knock down my half of a semi detached shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Strange question I know, but I'm unsure of how else to word it...

I live in a semi detached house. In the garden we have a little 5ftx5ft brick building. This building is connected to the neighbours one. So we both have 5ftx5ft on either side of the boundary.

It's completely made out of brick, has wooden roof joists and normal roof tiles. However my neighbour seems to have a different roof which is flat, so I assume that wouldn't be a worry as it doesn't appear to connect to theirs.

The question, I hope, is pretty simple. Am I allowed to knock down my half without getting any permission to do so?

I'm not overly knowledgeable when it comes to things like this, but I expect I'd need to hire a builder with an angle grinder(?) to give a nice clean cut right down the middle.

The obvious worry is knocking down too much of the middle part as we don't want to damage their half of course.

I've attached a little image that gives an aerial view of the gardens. Looking down at it, mine is the far left house with the visible roof slant, connected to the neighbours flat one.
http://postimg.org/image/eqg3w2hb5/

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this one!
Thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
Yes you can.

You will need to make good any damage, make sure the shed is left weathertight, make sure that the shed is still structurally sound and no worse off when you remove your support, and make sure the fire safety aspects are covered - fire spread across the boundary.

In essence, the neighbour should be left no worse off as a result of your work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back