Rebuilding previously demolished semi detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Quick hypothetical.

I own a 1930s brick built semi which has been extended to the rear. It's perfect for us but I find myself wanting a little project and also a bit more space to do some diy'ing.

The previous owners replaced the knackered garage with a conservatory type thing, using a slightly smaller footprint than where the previous semi detached garage was. This is joined to an outside toilet and small privy.

The conservatory has been poorly constructed, doors and windows don't fit properly and inside it's hotter than the sun even on a winters day.

I like the idea of rebuilding the garage as was and using half of it as a workshop and the other half as a store. I'd then look to knock down the toilet and privy which would gain another 20 odd sq m of lawn.

I appreciate that certain aspects of outbuildings fall under permitted development and as I intend to put it back the way it was when first built will go in my favour, my concern is any party wall agreement required? Our neighbours would be supportive I imagine.

Am I best speaking to a planner to get the low down or can I simply crack on?

The portal doesn't really provide the answer to my question and I'm not savvy enough to know the regs.

Any ideas?

I would be rebuilding in a similar nature - probably brick and block and a tiled roof.

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
As long as it and any other extensions are covering less than half the area around your original house, and it's 2.5m or less from the highest natural ground level to the highest point, it should be PD.
You might need to Check with your council to make sure PD still applies to your property.
If you want something other than PD you'd need to apply for permission.
If you keep it 30m2 or less internal floor area, you don't have to get building control approval either.

Sorry regarding party wall that's a matter directly between you and your neighbour. Of they're supportive, the best thing to do is draw what you plan and take it round for a chat. If they're still supportive then crack on. If they want to be a pain then move it a few inches your way or prepare to pay £k++ in professional fees.

Brilliant. Thanks for the reply.

That sounds promising. I wasn't aware of the building control issue sub 30m so that's also useful.

Best get drawing then!

Sponsored Links
When a building is removed, if it is then rebuilt it it treated as if there was nothing there to begin with and will be subject to any applicable planning regulations and contraints - ie you get no favours just because something was there previously.

With regards to party wall matters, that will depend on whether it applies or not - location of wall/foundations etc. But if as you say the neighbours are supportive, then it's not an issue.

Ah. Cheers- that's interesting as I'd read elsewhere that restoring buildings to their 'original state' when built was permitted.

I think I'll get my drawings done and speak with the LA for a bit of advice.

Cheers gents.

Ah. Cheers- that's interesting as I'd read elsewhere that restoring buildings to their 'original state' when built was permitted.

Thats if a significant part of the building is already there, then its classed as a repair/renovation

It was originally a brick built, pitched roof structure. The originsl footings have been replaced / over covered with a slab. Which is still there. I think I'll just make an enquiry with planning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back