Semi Detached boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

On a semi detached house circa 1930 is there any obvious way on the actual property itself to see at what point the house splits, so the boundary of the house itself not the land ?

My neighbour have built a rear extension and it appears they have stepped the bricks out slightly when they are above the roof of my lean-to, with the roof tiles on its over hanging my lower level lean to. When I look up at the main guttering of the house theres is black and mine is white, if the centre line is that meeting point they are well over that.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ignore the guttering and any render finish - they mean nothing. You would normally take the boundary line off of some original boundary feature - i.e. the original reinforced concrete fence posts. But you seem to be saying there are two rear extensions now so those features obviously don't exist any more. Next best indicator would be the centre line through the party wall. The wall will be approx 260mm thick so take a measurement off your side of the party wall to a window on the inside and then transfer that measurement to outside. Add on 130mm and that will be as near to a boundary line as you are going to get.

Sponsored Links
Boundary are tricky and incredibly expensive to argue. We are in a semi similar age with existing extensions. From the outside its difficult to tell where the line is, especially from the front. Guttering, paint and garden wall all being out of line. We had an architect survey our house and confirmed that the neighbours have used all the party wall thus going over the boundary in one of their extensions. It was done years ago, its wrong but too much time has elapsed and they now own that land, albeit small. Basically as far as I know if you don't catch it immediately or recently then there's not that can be done. If you do find a way to fight this however, let me know!
In answer to your question - a survey is the only way to establish the boundary. Its down to the thickness of the original party wall brick. Outside boundary can be determined by old fence posts, if they are still there. Though its an expensive journey. Agreeing with your neighbour as to whose is whose is the best, cheapest option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back